Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   In what room do most people keep their fish tanks? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-room-do-most-people-keep-22820/)

jm667 04-05-2009 06:35 PM

In what room do most people keep their fish tanks?

I was wondering where most people keep their aquariums. Do they have dedicated rooms for them? In the living room? Basement? Here is my situation: I have an office in a room on the main floor of the house, and that is were I currently have my little 10 gallon tank on top of a dresser. I just got a 50 gallon and assumed I would put it there (my wife doesn't want it in the living room). But now I am wondering if I should just put it in the basement. We don't really hang out down there much, but it is a finished, furnished basement. There actually is spot down there where it would fit well, kind of at the end of the hall where you would still be able to see if from the rec room. And I will probably have to move my office downstairs anyways within the next couple years or so, so the tank would have to come out of there then if it were upstairs. Anyways, I know this isn't going to make sense to most people without actually seeing it, but what I really want to know is if people usually put their tanks in rooms that they are in all the time, or do you put them in less frequented rooms and make the effort to go there to watch you fish? Even the one in my office now is not in front of me, I still have to turn around to look at it. Do you tend to not watch your fish as often if they aren't in a room where you are all the time? And I'm sure some people have multiple tanks throughout their homes, so this is really referring to people with just one or two tanks.

MBilyeu 04-05-2009 06:47 PM

My tanks go where I can fit them. I have my 30 gallon in my living room, and my 75 and 10 in my dining room. My wife and I are going to buy our next home in about 3-4 years or so, and you better believe that I will make sure to have a room dedicated to fish tanks with a swivel recliner in the middle!:lol:

Kim 04-05-2009 07:01 PM

I have all mine in my bedroom because I still live at home. I like it because I can go in and relax in my own space, and also because them being all in the same room makes maintenance easy. I also like that my fish staty in an area where I can control. No one knocking into the tanks or slipping any extra food while I'm away. I don't love it when I get a noisy filter in the middle of the night though....

I think my ideal setup would be a room dedicated to the tanks. It would be my stress reliever room, but I wouldn't have to sleep there in case anything decided to make noise.

SpyderMike 04-05-2009 07:03 PM

i have my tank pretty much right next to my TV, and i find myself watching the tank more than the TV

and during every commercial break ;)

jradish 04-05-2009 07:07 PM

I keep mine in my living room cause thats the only place i can put it. But I wouldnt have it any other way because I'd always like it to be in the room I spend the most time in ( where the tv is). I like being able to glance at the tank always, though I have to turn most the lights off when their lights go off. And the fish can watch me too and the tv haha

lowco1 04-05-2009 07:10 PM

I keep one of my 55gal in my room across from my bed then my 20gal in my bathroom inbetween my two sinks and my other 55gal is in my office next to my room.

Freddiesbuns 04-05-2009 08:20 PM

I keep my 5 gallons in the living room beside the computer so my Betta doesn't get bored. My 33 gallons is in the dining room because it's the only spot where I can set the tank, and additionnally it's the darkest room in the house and the lights from the tank help brighten it up.

JohnnyD44 04-05-2009 08:31 PM

I keep my 20L in our office and a 10G hex tank in the dining room....my 55 is going into the basement until my fiance realizes a 130 or 150 would look better there!

veganchick 04-05-2009 08:59 PM

Bedroom cuz my mom says they have to go there, and it is nice to come home and do homework in there with all the fish

willow 04-06-2009 03:38 AM

i used to keep a tank in the kitchen,however that got shut down,
so now i just have two in the living room,which i use all the time.
one tank is behind me,and one is to the side of me,where ever i sit.and the gecko stack
is in the living room also,can't fit another tank in unless i get shot of the sofa.:lol: