Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   an algae problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/algae-problem-22773/)

lilouche 04-04-2009 02:39 PM

an algae problem

Hello everyone
I have had a problem of algae since a few weeks : I have black algae in my plants and my gravels.
Do you know why ? How to get rid of the algae ?
thank you in advance

(sorry if my englsih isn't very well :notworthy:)

:thankyou:

Byron 04-04-2009 03:36 PM

Hi lilouche,

I like your aquarium in the photos, nice setup.

By "black" algae do you mean the brush algae that grows on wood, rocks, decorations, filter tubes and plant leaves (and sometimes on the gravel)? This is usually a very dark green, which might seem to be almost black. By contrast there is the algae that is like a slimy film, usually green or brown or reddish.

Algae is a natural part of an aquarium, and it is impossible to completely remove it, but it is possible to keep it to a minimum. In most cases, algal bloms occur due to an excess of nutrients or an excess of organic materials and poor water quality. If this is the same aquarium as in your photos, your plants are growing because there is a balance of light and nutrients. If there is more of these than the plants can utilize, the algae will start taking advantage and multiply. You might want to consider reducing the amount of light and/or the nutrients (liquid fertilizer), but do it slowly and carefully so as not to affect the plants. Regular partial water changes should keep the nitrates down so the algae can't use them as food.

The only safe way to get rid of the algae is to remove it by hand. There are chemicals you can buy, but I (and many others) do not recommend using them because they can have an effect on the plants. Also, I do not believe in adding any chemicals to an aquarium containing fish unless it is absolutely necessary, or absolutely safe (like water conditioner or liquid fertilizer). Once you have removed most of it, and restored the natural balance, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you could indicate how much light is over the tank (watts) and how long is the light on each day, and what fertilizer are you adding, and how much/how often, I might have a bit more info to help.

lilouche 04-05-2009 06:46 AM

Thank you very much
Now, my tank isn't as my picture : the "red" plants "died" and lots of plants are destroyed by the algae.
My avatar is an old photo

WisFish 04-07-2009 04:26 PM

Not sure if this is your issue. I had black algae until I increased the amount of light I was using and I started adding EXCEL every week. The black algae went away slowly over three weeks time.

Unrulyevil 04-14-2009 03:18 PM

Make 30% water changes every week, cut down on light and do no add any fertilizers + you could buy Seachem Equilibrium RO Water Conditioner for Freshwater Planted Aquariums

fish_4_all 04-22-2009 11:17 AM

Do you know your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, and whatever else you can test for? IF you do please post what they are.

As for the cause of algae, it is more likely a lack of a nutrient than simply too much of one. I used to practice something called estimative dosing. In this way I dosed everything for the plants on a regular schedule. Algae was never an issue. Eventing was dosed in levels safe for fish but I always made sure that there was never a shortage of anything in my tanks. If anything went to 0 during the dosing I dosed more in the routine.

Also, what kind of light do you have? Wattage, fluorescent, incandescent? How old is it?

Busgod 04-23-2009 01:20 AM

Does the water smell fresh or kinda like dirt or reeds?
Does it grow really fast?
Does it turn to slime when you touch it?

aunt kymmie 04-23-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all (Post 189728)
Do you know your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, and whatever else you can test for? IF you do please post what they are.

As for the cause of algae, it is more likely a lack of a nutrient than simply too much of one. I used to practice something called estimative dosing. In this way I dosed everything for the plants on a regular schedule. Algae was never an issue. Eventing was dosed in levels safe for fish but I always made sure that there was never a shortage of anything in my tanks. If anything went to 0 during the dosing I dosed more in the routine.

Also, what kind of light do you have? Wattage, fluorescent, incandescent? How old is it?

I agree with fish_4_all's information, advice & questions.
Posting that info would be very helpful in determining the cause of your algae problem.

ricoishere 04-25-2009 09:32 PM

I had the same problem in a newly established planted tank. It just blew up all over the place! I took the natural approach: reduced lighting (I had 24x4lights), added Zebra Nerites, A Chinese Alga eater, A bristlenose pleco, 2 Florida Flag fish (did not feed them for 1 day, then fed every other day, added flourish excel tabs, and DIY CO2. The fish were hungy and tore the algae, the snails are keeping the tank walls clean, the CAE is busy. Now the bristlenose is not working, so I might rehome, and make room for another fish. But algae is under control. Iwill now add conical snails and ramshorns, hopefully they'll lay eggs so I can feed them to my loaches. But be patint. A clean clear tank is a sight!