Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Fraternity Tank for Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/fraternity-tank-livebearers-22755/)

omgPlaty 04-03-2009 08:01 PM

Fraternity Tank for Livebearers

I really don't want fry around because my tank is pretty small and I don't have a way to home them. I am just wondering if there can be an all male tank, just like having an all female tank?

Is it possible to have all male platies and all male guppies in a tank? Will they still fight without females to fight over?

Ten gallon tank

eileen 04-03-2009 08:50 PM

I was wondering how small your tank is? I have a 55. gal with bigger fish 4 male mollies livebearers, 6 Harlenquin Rasboras, 8 Glow light tetras,2 bushy nosed plecos, 1 large angelfish and 4 dwarf rainbow fish. I also have a 6 gal. in my Kitchen with only Tiger/Hybrid male endlers, red cherry shrimp, and the other is a 5 gal. with a female Tiger/Hybrid endlers. I also have a 2 1/2 gal. Hospital tank for new fish, sick fish that now has baby endlers.

If the tank is 5-10 gal. Go with all male endlers. They are like guppies but smaller in size. You can have a nice community tank with red cherry shrimp, and any non aggressive tetera, like glow lights, neon, Corys catfish, oto for algea control. Mine get along fine having all male. If you want Guppies the females are very plain and I think that the males are really nice looking for a tank to add color. Stay away from swordtails, Mollies as they tend to get big and are big waste producers. The endlers are really small so you can add alot of them like Black Bar endlers. They are sort of hard to find. I got my Tiger/Hybrid endlers on E-bay type in endlers or you can check out Swampriveraquatics for a nice selection of endlers she also sells on Aquabid.com type in endlers. Look online to see what some of these look like.

omgPlaty 04-03-2009 11:15 PM

Hi eileen, thank you for responding. My tank is 10 gallons. I already have one male platy. I originally at three: two males and one female. This was before I knew how to tell sex and how to properly cycle a tank. One of the males and the female were both lost because of my ignorance. I was hoping that I could add two male platies and then some other sort as well. I just didn't know if male livebearers could live together peacefully without females around.

Endlers are definetly nice looking and I will research them more. I don't remember seeing them in the LFSs around here.

eileen 04-04-2009 01:01 AM

Here is a web site that you can use to see what fish get along with what.
http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums....bity/index.php

Your Platy will get to be 2" max as an adult. While a Endler will be only 1" as an adult.
If you keep the platy go with the same sex and get one of the fish on the list but stay away from the bigger fish like swordtail or molly. Tetras all stay small but you will have to have a small school of 3-4
I like the endlers as you can get away with about 10-15 of them in your tank of 10 gal.

I do a 20% water change once a week and I use this stuff called Cycle once a week to maintain the tanks. You can find Cycle at Walmart.Their also is this stuff by Tetra called EasyBalance to keep aquaium water biologically balanced for up to 6 months 1 teaspoon for every 5 gallons weekly.You can alway rehome the 1 platy and go with endlers if you can find them. The only thing with mail order is that the shipping is alot and you will have to get a heat pack if it is cold in your area. Petco will take your Platy for free if you can not find a home for it. I've taken mine to them as a last resort because of not getting along with my other fish or because I wanted something else in my tank. Craigslist is another way to rehome your fish. Livebearers are sometimes given away for free as people have to many babies.

eileen 04-04-2009 01:20 AM

Website correction Tim's Tropical Fish and Aquariums - species profiles, facts, pictures and compatibility.

ChiNA MaN 04-15-2009 01:33 AM

well platies are live bearers so what ever u do ur gonna have males and females

Oldman47 04-18-2009 11:53 AM

A fraternity tank is fine for a group of guppies.

bigali 04-19-2009 11:41 AM

When i first got started i put 3 male mollies in the same tank (29g) the dalmation and the creamcicle pretty much leave each other alone. Hovever the dalmation chased the balck one everywhere.. The balck one eventually died and i have not replaced him yet.. so i seems that i have had some seccess with it but not total.

froglady 04-19-2009 03:00 PM

I agree guppies are great for a fraternity tank, I found a new baby guppy under a peice of wood. good hiding place.