Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   I need advice on borelli cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/i-need-advice-borelli-cichlids-22714/)

catfishtabbi 04-02-2009 03:13 PM

I need advice on borelli cichlids

I have finally located some borelli cichlids and locally as well. The store has them at about the size of a young danio which means less expensive, hopefully they'll survive. So far i have a large cave for them (2 entrances) and the floor will be theres, my tank is established with some plants. Are there specifics i should be aware of before adding these fish to my aquarium ? Any help or tips will be much appreciated.

Byron 04-02-2009 06:35 PM

Apistogramma species are lovely fish and nice additions to a community characin tank or on their own esp if you want to spawn them. Most sources of info say this species needs soft, slightly acidic water (below pH 7.0) and plenty of hiding places like caves (you've got that right) and plants will help. I note one source has them coming from the Rio Cuiaba which had a pH of 7.3, and if this is accurate you might not need to be so particular on the acidic water. In my experience with SA chichlids I have found that they adapt better to slightly acidic water than the reverse, so I would still aim for that. Keep the water clean, these fish are very sensitive to deteriorating water conditions (as are most of the apistos in my experience).

If possible, a pair is best, but if they are too young to sex, and you can afford it, purchase a small group of 4 or 5 and hopefully they will find mates. Be very careful when introducing them to the aquarium; as mentioned, they are very sensitive to water quality, and any change in pH and hardness from the store water to your tank must be made gradually. A shoal of characins would complement these fish if you have the room.

catfishtabbi 04-02-2009 08:37 PM

Thank you Byron,i was wondering about acclimation, i will exercise care. I t shouldn't be stressful on them as the store i'll be getting them from also uses ro wtaer :) My waters ph is a strict 6.8 and i use ro water with ro right and black water expert. It so happens that ; with the exception of a few fish gouramis, danios and loaches, i pretty much have a characin tank. I'm considering a pvc tunnle ? but i fear the danios would drive them out and they may breed too much. I'm going to have a large group since they are very young, i will watch for behavior patterns and determine if any need to be rehomed as they mature. I read that when kept in larger groups male aggression is minimized and that bickering can go on for hours without any physical harm. So i will try 10(ten).It is true they stay to the floor, right ?

Byron 04-04-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catfishtabbi (Post 185022)
Thank you Byron,i was wondering about acclimation, i will exercise care. I t shouldn't be stressful on them as the store i'll be getting them from also uses ro wtaer :) My waters ph is a strict 6.8 and i use ro water with ro right and black water expert. It so happens that ; with the exception of a few fish gouramis, danios and loaches, i pretty much have a characin tank. I'm considering a pvc tunnle ? but i fear the danios would drive them out and they may breed too much. I'm going to have a large group since they are very young, i will watch for behavior patterns and determine if any need to be rehomed as they mature. I read that when kept in larger groups male aggression is minimized and that bickering can go on for hours without any physical harm. So i will try 10(ten).It is true they stay to the floor, right ?

A tank pH of 6.8 is absolutely excellent. Is "ro right" some sort of additive? Perhaps you could explain a bit how you do the water.

Yes, apistos generally stay in the lower part of the water column, another reason it is good to have shoaling fish like tetras to keep the apistos feling more secure and provide interest; your setup sounds ideal. Personally I wouldn't bother with the pvc tunnel, just make sure there are a few "caves" of rock or wood. If you have more than one male in the group, each should have a cave to establish his territory. Aggression shouldn't be a problem if they can do this. They will naturally "chase" each other, and the females, that's normal and OK provided they can get out of each other's way and not be hounded. Ten is quite a few, remember they will grow and they are territorial. What size is the tank? You will probably find that one male will be dominant, and the other males will not develop to that extent as long as the dominant is there. That was my experience with Apistogramma bitaeniata which I acquired as a group of five small fish.

catfishtabbi 04-04-2009 12:37 PM

Hi Byron, i use ro water and yes ro right is an additive that remineralizes ro water and blackwatr expert is peat extract that i add to lower my ph to 6.8 I found that 2 drops of BWE per gallon seems to work, i add this blend to the water sorage containers so all i have to do is add wtaer straight from the jug as needed. .I rethought getting 10, i decided on 7
tho they're hard to find plus i'm getting them for only $ 4.99 each.
They're being held for me, i will pick them up tueesdat or wednesday this will give them a chance to grow out some . I understand that they're still quite small. My tank is a 50g.Thanks for the response.

Byron 04-04-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catfishtabbi (Post 185396)
Hi Byron, i use ro water and yes ro right is an additive that remineralizes ro water and blackwatr expert is peat extract that i add to lower my ph to 6.8 I found that 2 drops of BWE per gallon seems to work, i add this blend to the water sorage containers so all i have to do is add wtaer straight from the jug as needed. .I rethought getting 10, i decided on 7
tho they're hard to find plus i'm getting them for only $ 4.99 each.
They're being held for me, i will pick them up tueesdat or wednesday this will give them a chance to grow out some . I understand that they're still quite small. My tank is a 50g.Thanks for the response.

All sounds good to me. Nice to see you're doing this the right way, thinking ahead, prepared...well done. I asked about the water because others have said that ro water is so "pure" it needs fixing, and you're doing that. Just keep your eye on the pH as the aquarium matures when the fish are added. I'm lucky that the water out of my tap is ideal for my type of fish--soft and slightly acidic (pH 6.8 almost consistently) but I have a small nylon bag of dolomite in the filter chambers just to add a minute amount of mineral into the water, and it keeps the pH in the tanks at 6.4-6.6 (diurnal fluctuation which is normal in planted aquaria).