Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Got the substrate changed in the 20 gallon puffer tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/got-substrate-changed-20-gallon-puffer-226978/)

NewFishFiend 07-15-2013 01:47 PM

Got the substrate changed in the 20 gallon puffer tank

1 Attachment(s)
It looks so much better and wasnt nearly has hard as i imagined!!! I am really liking it and want to do my 75 gallon too but thats gonna be quite a job!

jaysee 07-15-2013 08:26 PM

Yeah, it's not as hard as it seems :-)

I have one of those caves in my 125. My clown pleco and chocolate cichlid share it.

NewFishFiend 07-15-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2559602)
Yeah, it's not as hard as it seems :-)

I have one of those caves in my 125. My clown pleco and chocolate cichlid share it.

You know, the thing that worries me most about doing my 75 gallon is that I had planned to just take it down to about 30-40% water capacity, take all the plants and driftwood and stuff out and leave the fish in. But when we were doing this tank (I took my puffers out and they were in tank water with the plants and an airstone in a 5 gallon bucket while we did the exchange) when we started scooping out the gravel it straight up smelled like ammonia. Now I test my parameters at least twice a week, gravel vac at least once a week, and it stays at 0/0/5. Disturbing the gravel stirred all that up though and i'm sure the ammonia spiked in the little bit of water that as left. I ended up draining all the water out after we got the gravel out before I put the new stuff in. I saved about 50% of the old tank water and 50% was new treated water. But I digress, what I'm trying to get at is that I'm afraid is that if I leave my fish in the 75 gallon and disturb all the gravel I will get an ammonia spike while the water is low and my fish ill suffer. At the same time, I hate to move them all to a 5 gallon bucket ( I have about 30+ fish including angels and rams). I feel like no matter which way I go, I will have casualties and I just don't think I'm willing to risk that.... But I surely hate that damn blue and green gravel.

jaysee 07-15-2013 10:08 PM

You won't have casualties! Just put the fish in the bucket. Perhaps 2 buckets if you're overly concerned. Ive done it leaving the fish in - It really is easier to do it without the fish in the tank.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Boredomb 07-29-2013 12:06 PM

You can get two buckets like jaysee said and it should be fine no longer then they will be in there. Another alternative is get a 20 gallon tote at the store and put all the fish in it. I have one for such occasions. It really is easier and better for the fish if they are out of the tank when you move to a bucket or a tote.

Boredomb 07-29-2013 12:08 PM

On a different note. What kind of puffer is that? I have a Dwarf puffer and they are such neat lil fish!!

Chesh 07-29-2013 12:16 PM

It does look nice :) I love the darker substrates, too, they just bring everything out so prettily, I think.
Changing out the substrate in the 75 will be a task, for sure, but so worth it when it's done. I agree with the others - take the fish out. As much of a pain as that is, it'll be much better for them, and easier for you, than the alternative. Tote idea is great!

Yes!! What kind of Puffer??! I love puffers, too. ^.^

P.S. Got Fishmonger's message - thanks guys! We're looking into it!

NewFishFiend 07-29-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2670770)
On a different note. What kind of puffer is that? I have a Dwarf puffer and they are such neat lil fish!!

These are south American puffers. Amazing little guys. It's been about3 weeks since we changed the substrate and I can tell they arevlovingnit. I find them cozier up on it at nighttime all the time. Much better for them than the gravel that could injure them easily. Also my nitrates are staying very low because the plants are growing much better in this substrate. Overall I'm very glad we did it.

Boredomb 07-30-2013 03:18 AM

Ahh South American Puffer are neat as well. They have a personality all of their own. Glad they like the new substrate. Plants can do wonders with water quality but nothing really beats water changes. Just out of curiosity what do you feed your puffers??

NewFishFiend 07-30-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2677817)
Ahh South American Puffer are neat as well. They have a personality all of their own. Glad they like the new substrate. Plants can do wonders with water quality but nothing really beats water changes. Just out of curiosity what do you feed your puffers??

95% of their diet is ramshorn snails that i grow for them. The rest is miscellaneous treats that they love such as shell on shrimp, blood worms, brine shrimp with spirulina, freshwater frenzy, etc