Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   You guys were right, pretty sure I suffer from MTS! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/you-guys-were-right-pretty-sure-226657/)

Bigdawg355 07-15-2013 02:08 AM

You guys were right, pretty sure I suffer from MTS!

Ok so still new to this hobby (about 2 months) , I started with a 55 gallon tank, last week a friend decided she was done with her 20 gal long and was just gonna flush her fish and throw tank out, so I snagged it and saved the fish. Now today I was looking on Craigslist and found a guy in desperate need of money selling his tank and stand all the ad said was big aquarium cheap need cash, when I called he said $150 takes everything ! Turned out to be close to 200 gallons! I jumped on it! Unfortunately while hauling it home it got a crack in the back glass , it's pretty close to the top ( about two inches) and only about 6 inches long . Is this gonna be fixable, or am I gonna have to replace the whole piece? I really have no clue what I'm going to so with it yet but kinda want to do a angel fish community. Not in a big hurry to set it up got a lot of stuff I wanna do to it first.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarbH 07-15-2013 02:19 AM

I would say that you will need to replace the glass. With a tank that large or any size if the glass is cracked I would not trust it.

Bigdawg355 07-15-2013 02:33 AM

Even being on the top?
Posted via Mobile Device

Romad 07-15-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdawg355 (Post 2553169)
Even being on the top?
Posted via Mobile Device

I wouldn't trust a crack anywhere on a tank that's going to hold that volume of water. Hopefully someone who's been in your shoes will chime in and have some ideas on whether it can be fixed or replaced.

But that was a sweet score otherwise!

Bigdawg355 07-15-2013 08:28 AM

Ya it was
Posted via Mobile Device

SeaHorse 07-15-2013 08:30 AM

I'm afraid I agree. Think about this from a "what if" perspective... worst case scenario is 200 gallons of water on your floor and fish flopping around with nothing to put them in? 2nd worst is slow leak... still needing a place to put fish while you repair the tank.
I have resealed a small tank, 10 gallon, it's fussy but do-able...but never replaced a panel of glass. Any tank repair places near you to call and cost it out?
I've had 45 gallons on my floor and that was horrendous to say the least... and that was only a slow leak that I found after it happened... or while it was happening.
This could lead into ruined carpet and flooring costs too not just the cost of the glass repair, it's a lot of water.

Let us know what you decide to do! Good luck.

Bigdawg355 07-15-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 2553834)
I'm afraid I agree. Think about this from a "what if" perspective... worst case scenario is 200 gallons of water on your floor and fish flopping around with nothing to put them in? 2nd worst is slow leak... still needing a place to put fish while you repair the tank.
I have resealed a small tank, 10 gallon, it's fussy but do-able...but never replaced a panel of glass. Any tank repair places near you to call and cost it out?
I've had 45 gallons on my floor and that was horrendous to say the least... and that was only a slow leak that I found after it happened... or while it was happening.
This could lead into ruined carpet and flooring costs too not just the cost of the glass repair, it's a lot of water.

Let us know what you decide to do! Good luck.

I don't know of any repair places anywhere around me :( I'm going to look around online today and see what I can worse case I will have to replace the panel myself
Posted via Mobile Device

SeaHorse 07-15-2013 10:08 AM

Any local fish store that sells big aquariums may have a repair "service" on site. Try calling all your LFS's. Or they may know of someone who does it or used to do it for them. Sometimes just getting a name and number for someone helps.

Bigdawg355 07-15-2013 01:40 PM

Ya I don't actually have a lfs around here just petco and petsmart but I found a place that will sell me the glass for $350 or I can do acrylic for $220
Posted via Mobile Device

SeaHorse 07-15-2013 01:54 PM

Ouch!
Well I found an awesome Youtube video on how to masting tape all the sides and edges to silicone it properly.... tedious... but very effective for getting nice edges. I only did the 10 gallon but was darn proud of myself when I was done. Get the proper gun tho... that much silicone will hurt your fingers trying to squeeze a tube!