Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Stocking suggestions for a 55 American cichlid tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/stocking-suggestions-55-american-cichlid-tank-22648/)

Fishin Pole 03-31-2009 07:11 AM

Stocking suggestions for a 55 American cichlid tank

Well my neighbor is finally moving and he gave me his 55............Everything included, fish, filter, gravel, plants...all of it..........Right now it has in 1 female convict (full grown), 1 silver dollar (about 3"), 2 adult panda barbs, 1 common pleco (10 inches).........

Before anyone posts about the pleco or the silver dollar, i know, they need rehomed.........I'm working on that.....If your near Hershey PA and want them contact me.....They are free to a good large home....

Anyways, i'm looking for suggestions for some type of american cichlid that fits the tank size and will get along with a convict and will not destroy plants..........Any and all suggestions will be considered

1077 03-31-2009 07:29 AM

May be not what you had in mind but,Some that I would consider would be ..Firemouth, Blue Acara,and Brichardi.:dunno:

1077 03-31-2009 07:35 AM

Damn!! I did not consider whether those I suggested would uproot plants. I was thinking, (always dangerous) about compatibilty with convict who are by the way capable of rearranging plantscapes.

Fishin Pole 03-31-2009 08:09 AM

This convict and silver dollar, believe it or not has not ever messed with the plants in this tank.........Wouldnt a blue acara eventually outgrow a 55?

Fishin Pole 03-31-2009 08:13 AM

i thought the brichardi was an african lake (high Ph) cichlid?............Or am i just confused with another species?

1077 03-31-2009 08:14 AM

Have seen them at eight inches,but believe six would be more common.

Virus 03-31-2009 05:25 PM

How big do Convicts get?

1077 04-01-2009 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 184291)
i thought the brichardi was an african lake (high Ph) cichlid?............Or am i just confused with another species?

No you are correct.As stated,the fish I suggested may not interest you,I was trying to come up with relatively non aggressive fish that would not cause much damage to plants. I kept a brichardi for a long time in Ph of7.4 in the tank at the time was five keyhole cichlids,five rainbow cichlids,three rams(gold) and a pair of dwarf panda cichlids. All went well until I introduced another brichardi and they had young.Fish began trying to leap from the aquarium for the brichardi considered the whole tank as their own.I then became interested in Discus and traded all of the tanks inhabitants for credit at fish store.

1077 04-01-2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virus (Post 184402)
How big do Convicts get?

Around three inches maybe a little larger.They are not good community fish.

Fishin Pole 04-01-2009 06:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestions 1077 they are appreciated...........I was questioning myself about the brichardi.........Right now i think the blue acara is what looks best to me........Do you think i could put a pair in with the female convict, or am i just looking for trouble?............