Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   cloudy water please help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/cloudy-water-please-help-22643/)

JokerBoyX 03-31-2009 12:51 AM

cloudy water please help!

I just set my tank up 2 days ago and have an algae eater and 2 small fish in it. It is a 30 gallon tank and I have an aquaclear 50 (200 GPH). The tank isnt real cloudy however it has a white fog look to it. I know tanks need to cycle and I am hoping that is all it is. If anyone has any information or ideas for me I would apreciate it. I ran a test kit and all my levels were good. 0 on ammonia, nitrit, nitrate and 7.2 on ph I am very new to this (first tank) so excuse any retard questions or comments I make. Thank you in advance.

Twistersmom 03-31-2009 08:34 AM

All new tank look a little cloudy at first, you do not need to do anything, it should go away on its own in a few days.

JohnnyD44 03-31-2009 05:48 PM

I agree, any new tank that is completly new will be cloudy for a few days. just remember to keep up on your water changes during your cycle

and welcome to the forum!!!!

JokerBoyX 04-03-2009 09:18 AM

the water has since cleared up and is now crystal clear. I think im an aqua clear guy now. my friend has great results with hagen/marineland however I do like the bio options with aqua clear.

JohnnyD44 04-03-2009 09:24 AM

good news! how's your cycle coming along?

JokerBoyX 04-04-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 185124)
good news! how's your cycle coming along?

ammonia is at 4.0 lol so its outta wack like it should be (i hope) hehe. however i got the ammonia remover insert for my aquaclear filter tonight. just having trouble fitting it in there with the biomax insert

Byron 04-05-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JokerBoyX (Post 185527)
ammonia is at 4.0 lol so its outta wack like it should be (i hope) hehe. however i got the ammonia remover insert for my aquaclear filter tonight. just having trouble fitting it in there with the biomax insert

I've just responded to your filter question in a separate thread. This thread has answered my question about this being a new tank, and I now see why you got the ammonia insert. I still say not to use it.
But you are ging to have some very stressed fish if this is a new tank and clearly it is not yet cycled. Please read my other post on the cycle process which should explain what's hapening in your tank.

I strongly suggest you get to a fish store and buy a bottle of "Cycle" or similar product. This is a bacteria supplement that will "seed" your filter immediately, adding live nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacteria to get the biological (nitrogem) cycle going to handle the ammonia (and subsequent nitrite). The cycling process will last somewhere from 2 to 8 weeks, but my experience has been with Cycle it will only be two weeks. Don't add any more fish until the tank is fully cycled.