Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Trying To Find A Good Light Fixture For My Planted Tank, Help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/trying-find-good-light-fixture-my-226330/)

orador223 07-14-2013 04:49 PM

Trying To Find A Good Light Fixture For My Planted Tank, Help?

So I have a 65 gallon planted tank and I'm currently using two shoplight fixtures that house 2 t8 bulbs each and one single lamp t12 fixture for a total of 168 watts. These fixtures take up too much space and take too much power, so i'm thinking of going with a LED fixture. Not trying to spend more than $100 for a 48in fixture, so i was thinking of a marineland single, double, or aqueon fixture.

My current plants:
Java moss
Needle leaf fern
Marimo balls
Aponogeton bulbs
Lily bulbs
Cryptocoryne balansae

JDM 07-14-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orador223 (Post 2549834)
So I have a 65 gallon planted tank and I'm currently using two shoplight fixtures that house 2 t8 bulbs each and one single lamp t12 fixture for a total of 168 watts. These fixtures take up too much space and take too much power, so i'm thinking of going with a LED fixture. Not trying to spend more than $100 for a 48in fixture, so i was thinking of a marineland single, double, or aqueon fixture.

My current plants:
Java moss
Needle leaf fern
Marimo balls
Aponogeton bulbs
Lily bulbs
Cryptocoryne balansae

Skip the single, it's not enough. The double would work with the plants you have, I had the double and it worked for everything on your list, although I'm not sure about the needle leaf fern , not familiar with it. If you don't mind a dark end or slightly dark ends you can get away with undersizing the fixture with the marineland... Buy a 36" and it fits a 48" tank with extendable legs. I did that with java fern and crypts in the dark end with a 24" over a 30" tank and the fixture is completely off to one side.

If you are not going to have surface plants that fixture would provide enough light for all but the most light needy stuff... I have a thick mat of surface plants so I stepped it up to the plant light system, seriously more money than the Doublebright though.

Jeff

orador223 07-14-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 2551338)
Skip the single, it's not enough. The double would work with the plants you have, I had the double and it worked for everything on your list, although I'm not sure about the needle leaf fern , not familiar with it. If you don't mind a dark end or slightly dark ends you can get away with undersizing the fixture with the marineland... Buy a 36" and it fits a 48" tank with extendable legs. I did that with java fern and crypts in the dark end with a 24" over a 30" tank and the fixture is completely off to one side.

If you are not going to have surface plants that fixture would provide enough light for all but the most light needy stuff... I have a thick mat of surface plants so I stepped it up to the plant light system, seriously more money than the Doublebright though.

Jeff

LED Pent 48" Timer 6500K Aquarium Light Freshwater Fish Plant 280X 20W 120 Cm | eBay

i'm going with this one

JDM 07-14-2013 09:50 PM

Well, the wattage and colour temp are good.... I couldn't find any official site other than resellers to find any actual stats.

Jeff.

orador223 07-14-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 2551674)
Well, the wattage and colour temp are good.... I couldn't find any official site other than resellers to find any actual stats.

Jeff.

Yeah this is a china brand but people say they get good results

BarbH 07-14-2013 11:56 PM

You might want to check out the finnex fugeray. I have one on my 72 gallon that I have been very pleased with. The fixture puts me into the high end of low lighting going in medium lighting. Coverage in the tank is good with no dark spots. I do use fliating plants in my tank. Also to note when looking at Led lighting par is used instead of watts. If you are interested in more info about led lighting I can point you tosome helpful information for making a decision. One of the other forums I am apart of has a good thread on comparing par of different fixtures and how well it may work for a planted tank.

orador223 07-15-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 2552401)
You might want to check out the finnex fugeray. I have one on my 72 gallon that I have been very pleased with. The fixture puts me into the high end of low lighting going in medium lighting. Coverage in the tank is good with no dark spots. I do use fliating plants in my tank. Also to note when looking at Led lighting par is used instead of watts. If you are interested in more info about led lighting I can point you tosome helpful information for making a decision. One of the other forums I am apart of has a good thread on comparing par of different fixtures and how well it may work for a planted tank.

The finnex fugeray is $130, that is putting me way over what i already am hesitant about spending. I'm thinking about going with either that one that i posted earlier or the current satellite 48" don't know which to go with. Most of these don't have PAR listed either

BarbH 07-15-2013 12:35 AM

You might want to check this link LED Lighting Compendium. Not sure if they will have info on the china fixture, but I amsure they have info for the current usa fixture

orador223 07-15-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 2552697)
You might want to check this link LED Lighting Compendium. Not sure if they will have info on the china fixture, but I amsure they have info for the current usa fixture

I'm going to go with the current satellite plus version, it's more expensive than all of these, but so much more worth it. People say it works great in the low tech planted tank too.

flight50 07-17-2013 11:48 PM

I was going to say the Finnex Ray 2 DS but if the Fugeray is too much for you, then you have other options obviously but remember you get what you pay for. Yes upfront they cost a bit but over time, they end up saving hundreds, less power used, less heat, no bulb changing yearly and very low profile. You can always save up your pennies to go with quality and reputation. Just don't get something that you will regret later.