Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Skittish Swordtails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/skittish-swordtails-22618/)

fishkid 03-30-2009 03:12 PM

Skittish Swordtails

For my birthday, I got a pair of koi swordtails. Right now, they are in a 46 gallon with a marbled hatchetfish and some corydoras and shrimp. They are very skittish when I am in front of the tank, but when they don't see me they swim around freely. When I approach the tank, they dash to hide behind the heater. When I acclimated them, but after some time, one jumped out of the acclimation container. It was out for a maximum of 2 minutes, and I picked it up and put it back in water. After 40 minutes of acclimation, I netted them into my tank. I wasn't able to observe them after that because I had to go somewhere.
What do you think is wrong? Water paremeters are fine. In the tank, I have many crypts, a driftwood arch, some rotala indica, micro sword, vallisneria, and java ferrn. Is it because of a lack of cover?

eileen 03-31-2009 01:28 PM

I think that it takes new fish awhile to adjust to it's surroundings. I hope you put stess coat in the tank after it jumped out to coat its body. I hope that your swordtail is ok after being out of the water for a few minutes.

I had a baby angelfish that was the same way when I first got her. She hid in the plants and was that way for awhile. Overtime it adjusted and is fine now and comes to the front of the tank when it sees me thinking that I'm going to feed it.

Next time you get a fish leave it in the bag that you got it and float it in your tank for 25-30 min. That way your will not have any fish jumping out. Before adding the fish I put about 1 cup of water from the main tank in the bag just in case of a different ph and wait 20 min and close up the bag. Net the fish out and do not add the water from the bag into your tank.

It's also a good idea to have a small quarantine tank that is cycled and set up for new fish. A 2 1/2 gal-5 gal. is fine with a small heater for that size tank. They are kept in their for 2-3 weeks. Just in case of disease so you can treat it before adding them to your whole tank. The reason why I said this is I had a friend that bought a new fish and added it to her 120 gal. tank. The new fish got a new type of Ich and infected all her fish and killed every one of her fish in the tank. The fish store carried a super Ich medication that she had to buy but it was to late to save her fish.

willow 04-05-2009 04:27 AM

how's the sword getting on ?

fishkid 04-05-2009 07:53 AM

The female gave birth on March 31. I saved five of the fry. The swordtails are getting a little more confident. I see them eating sinking foods.

eileen 04-05-2009 11:35 AM

That's great news about your Swordtail having babies. She might have more in the coming weeks so keep an eye on the tank daily. Sometimes they will have a few and have more later a few days later.

willow 04-06-2009 02:57 AM

that's great news,i'm very pleased for you.
:)