Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Overflow box vs drilled hole (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/overflow-box-vs-drilled-hole-22570/)

mikedelo 03-29-2009 07:42 AM

Overflow box vs drilled hole

Question -

I am thinking about purchasing a custom built tank. The manufacturer installs a built in overflow box as part of the base tank style/model. Why would anyone want to take up the room in the tank for an overflow box when a simple drilled hole in the upper left hand corner takes water from the tank to the sump?

onefish2fish 03-29-2009 01:03 PM

the overflow is going to quiet things down rather then have a constant slurping noise.

i used glass-holes.com and their boxes are smaller but get the job done. worth checking out.

out of everything i def. suggest a drilled tank over a hang on overflow though.

mikedelo 03-29-2009 02:38 PM

Thank you!!!!

mikedelo 04-06-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 183557)
the overflow is going to quiet things down rather then have a constant slurping noise.

i used glass-holes.com and their boxes are smaller but get the job done. worth checking out.

out of everything i def. suggest a drilled tank over a hang on overflow though.

Ok.... I have decided to go with the drilled hole. My next question would then be what size pump (from the sump back into the tank) would I need to support the water flow coming out of the tank through 1 1/2 inch hole?

onefish2fish 04-06-2009 09:36 PM

this is a trick question. it depends on head loss (the height the water is pumping up to the tank)

how big is your display? your sump?

im going to say a mag 9.5 but you can "T" off the return pipe to go back into the sump with a ball valve attached. this way you can fine tune your return water to match the water coming out. a mag 7 may also work too. i think theres a calculator for this stuff online somewhere?

anyways your in NJ, look into the NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)

mikedelo 04-07-2009 09:13 AM

I am building a 90 gallon system with a 30 gallon sump. The pump only needs to be able to pump up no more than 6 - 7 feet. (I am over estimatig, I like to leave room for error) I think the ball valve is the way to go!

Would the ball valve put strain on the pump?

I just joined NJRC. Looks like a great org!

Tyyrlym 04-08-2009 07:03 AM

A ball valve on a recirc line? No, no strain on the pump.

When onefish2fish recommends a drilled tank I'm fairly certain he means a reef ready style tank, not one with just a hole drilled in the back wall.

mikedelo 04-08-2009 03:27 PM

Ok....... I am planning on drilling a hole out the back. I asume that you think I'm crazy for planning this?

onefish2fish 04-08-2009 10:17 PM

lets just say you have your sump set up this way

| (inlet) skimmer | bubble trap | return pump | bubble trap | refugium (inlet) |

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/q...pumpinsump.jpg

the slightly over rate pump is allowed to pump straight back up to the tank but the "t off" has a ball valve which when fully open slows the rate of the pump and when fully closed (which i dont recommend on an overrate pump = flood ) will speed up the pump. this was a 30 second sketch in paint but if you need further explanation please let me know.

as for drilling a tank, first your going to want to know if the tank is tempered. in alot of cases the back glass will not be but to be safe, contact the company of purchase. i personally used www.glass-holes.com as their kits come with a drill bit and overflow. there are other options but this is what i did for my tank and like the outcome. just having a hole, will most likely be noisy, not help skim the surface of the water ( like a box does ) and will suck down snails and even fish ( any over flow has this risk but just a hole increases this risk ) also if your pump fails or the power goes out the water will siphon down until it gets air (siphon break) of the hole drilled. this means if your hole is 2 inches below the water line, 2 inches of water will drain to the sump, it even siphons back down the return lines unless you have siphon breaks. just all things to consider.

mikedelo 04-10-2009 07:59 AM

WOW!

Thanks for the drawing. Let me give this some more thought.