Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Starter Fish For Ten Gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/starter-fish-ten-gallon-22556/)

MsFrosty 03-28-2009 08:35 PM

Starter Fish For Ten Gallon

I have done cycling before but with my other tanks I used danios, platys, neons and in one case a betta. I was wondering if a goldfish (Just one) would be too messy for cycling a ten gallon.

Cody 03-29-2009 01:06 AM

No goldfish at all in a 10G tank. Feeders can put a disease in the tank and other goldies seem not-hardy enough IMO.

lowco1 03-29-2009 01:36 AM

I wouldnt use a goldfish they are one of the dirtiest fish that you can get. they are actually really a pain to take care of to because they are picky and messy. I would stick to danios for cycling or mollies.

MsFrosty 03-29-2009 11:08 AM

I think I will go with a couple of balloon mollies, they are so funny and interesting to watch. Thanks guys :)

catfishtabbi 03-29-2009 01:22 PM

HI frosty, i don't how soon you need to get started but i'll tell you DR.fostersmoth has a new cycling product; featured in thier catalouge, with both ammonia and bio bacteria. I willl use this one in the future.You might like to have a look.

Cody 03-29-2009 02:23 PM

I don't know if you want to cycle with Balloon Mollies. I have heard that they are pretty sensitive.

Zebra Danios are best IMO.

Tyyrlym 03-30-2009 11:14 AM

If you have to cycle with fish then you're better off with danios or platys.

plessans 04-03-2009 01:15 AM

Don't use fish to cycle your tank. Use clear aqueous ammonia; the kind with no added scents, dyes, or suds. It's actually cheaper to buy a half gallon bottle of aqueous ammonia that will last a very long time if you only use it for cycle tanks than to buy fish that will suffer through the cycling process. A good test to see if the ammonia is non-sudsing is to shake it and if no suds form then...well then it obviously doesn't have suds. You only want a solution of ammonia and water nothing else in the solution.

plessans 04-05-2009 06:58 AM

I would like to add to my last post since I didn't answer your question. I can't give you any certain answers cuz I've never had gold fish, but I know they produce a ton of waste, which turns into a NH3 source. You might have to keep watch of your nitrates so they don't get astronomical. Do a small water change to dilute nitrates.

I'm cycling my 5 gallon tank right now and yesterday I measured my nitrates to be 160 ppm, NH3 0 ppm, and nitrite 0.5 ppm. I'm going to use Chemistry topics to explain why I think I am having trouble getting 0 nitrites at 6 weeks into the cycle, so bare with me. I haven't been able to get nitrites to 0 ppm in 12 hours after addition of NH3 and after reading the nitrate test I suspect that the equilibrium between nitrite and nitrate is toward nitrites using Le'Chatelier's Principle as the basis for this conclusion