Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Cory Eggs and Water Change?

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  flight50 
#1 ·
So I have a few Peppered Cory in my 55 gallon tank. They recently decided to mate and scattered eggs yesterday. My intentions weren't to breed and I do not have a hospital tank. Now I typically do 30% water changes every Sunday on the tank, however my Mommy cory decided to leave some eggs on the side glass barely an inch from the top. So my question is...should I delay the water change till the eggs hatch or are they going to be okay out of the water for a little bit? I have a Pleco in there who drops a bioload like no other. haha.

Surprisingly the Pleco hasn't either found the stash of eggs or isn't interested because I have heard from various sources they will make a meal of it!

#2 ·
An inch from the top is a bit risky. If you want them to survive I would postpone the water changes. If you can relocated the pleco, I would. I have gone up to a month here an there on my tank that I typically do bi-monthly. Every set up is different though. I am not sure if the pleco intentionally searches for eggs but due to there size and sucking behavior, they can easily destroy the eggs on surface in which they cling to.

If the eggs are exposed out of water, they could dehydrate. I don't know how tolerate the eggs are but why take the risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.