Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Bala Shark advice needed, (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/bala-shark-advice-needed-225418/)

jdkerim 07-13-2013 05:27 AM

Bala Shark advice needed,

Hi, I have a Roma 125 liter tank which currently has 5 male guppies, 2 bala sharks and 1 peco. I use a Fluval 206 external filter and do weekly water changes. Amonia, Nitrite and Nitrate (API) tests come back at almost 0. The are currently two live plants, did have some others but pulled them out a few days ago as i didnt like the roots comming of the stems. I will be getting some new ones in the next few days. Also There are 3 bits of bogwood and two air stones.

[edit] The temperture is between 24 and 25 dregrees

My Bala Shark has been showing signs of red in his fins and today you can notice it through his scales. Im not sure what this is and wanted to ask for your advice.

The image can be view at the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yz6vsnxt05igry/IMAG0006.jpg

jaysee 07-13-2013 05:48 AM

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like septicemia to me.

Unfortunately, bala shark are really not appropriate for your tank size.

jdkerim 07-13-2013 08:26 AM

thanks for the reply, is there any treatment you would recommend for septicemia? The shop I got the fish from said i should be fine as the dont normally out grow the tank, but that was something I was worried about. ITs like the Peco also i was worried if it would grow too big also all he seems to do is hide tho I was hoping hed help with cleaning the glass

ZivaD 07-13-2013 08:46 AM

You mention the test levels are "almost zero" - what are the actual readings? How long has the tank been up and what cycling process did you follow?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkerim (Post 2538986)
thanks for the reply, is there any treatment you would recommend for septicemia? The shop I got the fish from said i should be fine as the dont normally out grow the tank, but that was something I was worried about. ITs like the Peco also i was worried if it would grow too big also all he seems to do is hide tho I was hoping hed help with cleaning the glass

Time to find a new fish source or start doing independent research for all your livestock purchases. 125 liters is about 33 gallons, which is below the recommended minimum tank size for even just one bala. Also, what type of pleco is it you have? If it is a "common" pleco you are again woefully undertanked for your fish. Are you in a position to upgrade your tank size at this time? If not, I would suggest returning the balas and the pleco (again, depending on specific type of pleco) post haste. You can find information on the minimum tank size, parameter requirements (this goes into figuring compatibility of the fish as it's more than just behavior - similar needs in water conditions are also necessary from filtration to flow to temp, etc) on various fish species here and elsewhere online to better prepare for the next stocking choices you make.

jdkerim 07-13-2013 10:54 AM

amonia was the only one that was slightly up it was between the 1st and 2nd on the api test kit. I would say more to the first the others were on the 1st one.

As for the cycle we had every thing up and running for four weeks before adding any fish.

The Pleco I got from our local Pets At Home I did inform the guy of what tank size we had and he said it will be fine as he has one his self.

We also have a sand base in our tank only just did a big clean which might be why the levels are not at zero.

Do you think I should take them back? Im not in a position to buy a bigger tank yet, this was the biggest we could afford.

jaysee 07-13-2013 12:45 PM

I think you should take them back, yes. I think in the long run it is what's best for you and the fish.