Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Aquarium Cave Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/aquarium-cave-question-22522/)

katsam2005 03-27-2009 05:01 PM

Aquarium Cave Question

I am trying to find a cave system for my 20 gal tank to stretch from one end of the aquarium to the other (and at least filling the back half of the aquarium). I've considered making my own but my only recourses are live rock and I'm afraid that it would be too heavy for my all glass aquarium.:idea: I was hoping that someone here might have a suggestion of where I could look, have one made or techniques I could use to make my own.
:thankyou:
:greenyay:

onefish2fish 03-27-2009 05:08 PM

live rock wouldnt be the thing to put into a freshwater tank. its called "live" because there are organisms living in and on it. when added to freshwater these things would die and spike your water. completely dry base rock could would, but this would also effect pH.
the tank can support the weight of the rock, just as long as the tank is set up on a level area with all of its edges flat on surface. do you know how much water weights? if anything you could add a piece of eggcrate ( sold in the light department of hardware stores as light defuser ) to help distribute the weight of the rock.

besides this choice of rock being an issue i could also see cleaning behind a problem. detritus would build up in the low flowing area which may lead to nitrate problems.
anyways if i was to do it, i would do something along these lines,
http://www.fishforum.com/diy-aquariu...kground-19898/

welcome to the forum.

katsam2005 03-27-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 182881)
live rock wouldnt be the thing to put into a freshwater tank. its called "live" because there are organisms living in and on it. when added to freshwater these things would die and spike your water. completely dry base rock could would, but this would also effect pH.
the tank can support the weight of the rock, just as long as the tank is set up on a level area with all of its edges flat on surface. do you know how much water weights? if anything you could add a piece of eggcrate ( sold in the light department of hardware stores as light defuser ) to help distribute the weight of the rock.

besides this choice of rock being an issue i could also see cleaning behind a problem. detritus would build up in the low flowing area which may lead to nitrate problems.
anyways if i was to do it, i would do something along these lines,
http://www.fishforum.com/diy-aquariu...kground-19898/

welcome to the forum.

Yeah I am well aware of how much water weighs that's why I'm leary of putting even more pressure and or weight on the tank. My relatives had a really massive tank that gave way to the weight of the water (that tank contained an electric eel).
I'm well aware of the maintence challenges and am all to ready to face them...thanks for the advice though.

flight50 03-27-2009 07:05 PM

try pvc. there is a section in the diy section. to be exact the post is called new caves and tunnels. i tried linking it but its not working for some reason.

you can create the shape, size, length. to make it more natural, get some aquarium silicone. put it on the outside and inside and then bury it in your substrate to get it coated. it looked pretty cool to me. make it unique to your own style.

onefish2fish 03-27-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katsam2005 (Post 182926)
Yeah I am well aware of how much water weighs that's why I'm leary of putting even more pressure and or weight on the tank. My relatives had a really massive tank that gave way to the weight of the water (that tank contained an electric eel).
I'm well aware of the maintence challenges and am all to ready to face them...thanks for the advice though.

rock displace water, so really its only adding little weight if any at all. as long as the tank was built properly, in decent condition and not placed down where a pressure point would be on the glass there shouldnt be anything to worry about

katsam2005 03-27-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flight50 (Post 182928)
try pvc. there is a section in the diy section. to be exact the post is called new caves and tunnels. i tried linking it but its not working for some reason.

you can create the shape, size, length. to make it more natural, get some aquarium silicone. put it on the outside and inside and then bury it in your substrate to get it coated. it looked pretty cool to me. make it unique to your own style.

Thank you very much, I'll go to that thread and nose around. Thanks for the idea it sounds really do-able.

lowco1 03-27-2009 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you dont mind a plastic cave that sticks to the glass with suction cups you can try out petsolutions.com I believe that it is called a cave formation under the deco area. I have two of them you can see them in the back of my tank here.

MBilyeu 03-28-2009 12:49 AM

I have two pvc pieces in my 30 gallon that I just covered with silicone and dry substrate. They look good, and you could make it any size/shape you wanted.

J Murphy 06-10-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowco1 (Post 183033)
If you dont mind a plastic cave that sticks to the glass with suction cups you can try out petsolutions.com I believe that it is called a cave formation under the deco area. I have two of them you can see them in the back of my tank here.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just wanted to say how amazing your tank looks, and to thank you for that website. I think I will be buying those suction caves; I think they are amazing. Can you tell me how far these little caves stick out from the back? It says they are 8x8" and 12x8" but not how far they stick out. Petco's website has something like this for $18, but a few people gave it bad reviews because the paint started peeling off it. What do you think of yours? (My tank is only a 20 gal if that makes a difference.)
Also, what do you think of the Tank Terraces like this one? Only thing is I bought rocky substrate and not sand like in the picture. Should I buy aquarium sand too?
EDIT: I just read some reviews on those terraces and about half the people loved it, half said it looks really cheap and you absolutely have to glue it to the side because the suctions don't hold. One guy even suggested gluing slate instead. Is that a better idea?