Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   please help im having coral problems (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/please-help-im-having-coral-problems-22469/)

hobbysRexpensive 03-26-2009 12:49 AM

please help im having coral problems

ok ive been into salt water fish for a couple years... but only fish never corals or live rock or anything along the reef line but about 5 months ago i decided to try it out. For the most part its going well, all my fish are very healthy my water quality is excellant as far as i can tell however i cant seem to keep most corals alive out of all the coarls ive tried i can only keep my collony polyp and my candy cane alive.. everything else dies off everytime!! i know im gonna get some harsh response to this " please understand this is all new to me" but i really need all the help i can get

Thanks

onefish2fish 03-26-2009 02:46 AM

we need way more information.

to start, exact water parameters. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ca, mag, alk, pH, temp, SG and the brand of test kit ( if you dont have one, refractometers and liquid test kits are the way to go )
we need to know what you are dosing, the size of tank, how much live rock, flow, what model and brand skimmer as well as any other information, what live stock, what kind of flow, what is your substrate and how deep, what kind of water do you use, salt, and everything and anything else you can think of. the more information you provide the better someone can offer advice.

welcome to the forum.

hobbysRexpensive 03-26-2009 10:00 PM

ok my ammonia is 0ppm my nitrite is 0ppm my nitrate is a 1 ppm my PH is 8.3 my temp is around 77 degrees and my SG whish i just checked is really high which is strange its at 1.027.. i dont have tests for calcium magnesium or alkalinity unfortinatley the brands i have are RED SEA. The tank is a 27 gallon TALL with around 45 pounds of live rock, the filter is a aquaclear 50 back pack, the skimmer is a CPR back pack 2r+, for flow i have one Hydor Koralia 1. For live stock i have a mated pair of ocellaris clown fish, a sleeper banded goby, an algae blenny, a cleaner shrimp, a camel shrimp, an emerald crab and some hermits and snails. my substarte is live sand and its about 2 3/4" deep i use bottled drinking watter and instant ocean salt. oh yah and my lighting system is a Current USA satellite with 2x40 watts dual daylight and dual actinic lighting with a lunar light. I think i got everything... thank you very much for helping and please let me know everything i am doing wrong i really enjoy this hobby and would love for my tank to flourish

Thanks again

BlueHalo 03-26-2009 10:11 PM

how about a list of what didnt survive? top of my head id say your lighting was suitable for very low light corals at best, this is a tall tank and will require more lights than normal

onefish2fish 03-26-2009 10:27 PM

agreed, on top of that a very important issue is the ca, alk and mag levels. you need to know these, period.
these 3 things along with pH all work together. you need to test and dose accordingly for ca, mag and alk.

another issue may be the camel shrimp picking at your corals.
im interested in the corals you have currently and what has been dying.

BlueHalo 03-26-2009 10:50 PM

"agreed, on top of that a very important issue is the ca, alk and mag levels. you need to know these, period.
these 3 things along with pH all work together. you need to test and dose accordingly for ca, mag and alk."

BURN THE WITCH!! LOL! totaly true, hard to understand, usually ignored, mainly misinterpreted but once mastered? success.

Pasfur 03-27-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 182712)
agreed, on top of that a very important issue is the ca, alk and mag levels. you need to know these, period.
these 3 things along with pH all work together. you need to test and dose accordingly for ca, mag and alk.

Your problem probably lies in this area. Testing for Calcium and alkalinity are vital in a marine aquarium. I'm not sure how you could even begin to run a reef tank without knowing these levels. How would you know when to supplement and how much to add?

Also, your salinity is exceedingly high. This could be a huge problem as well. How did this happen? Do you know that evaporation replacement should be with freshwater, not saltwater? Salt does not evaporate.

Kellsindell 03-27-2009 07:30 PM

I'd also recommend doing a lighting upgrade. If i'm understanding your lights correctly, you only have about 3watts per gallon, which is quite low. Chances are that your corals that are surviving are only just making it...

Also flow may be on the low side, that matters by quite a bit. Others may have a better view with these pumps, i'm not very familiar with them.