Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Pictures of my algae scrubber (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/pictures-my-algae-scrubber-22455/)

chris003 03-25-2009 02:32 PM

Pictures of my algae scrubber

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, since last thread i have made algae scubber . nitrares have fallen from 20-40 to 10 to15 . algae scubber is only in its 3 week. I read about these years ago but never tried them. Iam a cnc machinist/ programer. So i can make anything. Iam going to make a denitrator for the hell of it. I know i dont need both . but would like to get rid of flood lights . dont like having lights that close to water . any way thanks for all your help . iam new at forums here are some pics of scubber.

onefish2fish 03-25-2009 10:37 PM

very nice, your just pumping water into the plumbing to drip down the skimmer and then a seperate pump to pump it out? this may be issue if one of the two pumps fail.

chris003 03-25-2009 10:50 PM

yes, i know iam going to link both together with bulk heads 1" pvc pipe to keep water level equal in both sumps. wanted to make sure it was going to work before drill hole in sumps

onefish2fish 03-25-2009 10:55 PM

ohh ok, makes sense.. be sure to share pictures when you do.

chris003 03-25-2009 11:17 PM

you bet. also I,ll put up new pic,s when hair algae is gone . lol , i have lr under all the algae. not funny , but now i pretty sure I,am heading in right direction now

chris003 04-07-2009 03:11 PM

skimmer going crazy

3 Attachment(s)
since last post, i have had trouble with scrubber. the additional sump were scrubber is . there is algae growing bottom of sump and sides down below water surface. skimmer keeps filling the cup with basically clear water . i have taken skimmer and cleaned it out and pump also . re installed skimmer . it is still filling cup fast . i think water was getting stag. in second sump. the only water movement was pump that pumps water back to 1st sump. so iam going to get rid of 2nd sump and just run scubber off overflow box . iam still worried it will do the same thing . there is now way to keep algae from growing on bottom and sides and should you clean it all off so it dont let nitrates get back into water here is my new way of scubber pics thanks for any input on what i should do ?:-(

onefish2fish 04-07-2009 03:23 PM

open the skimmer valve more so its not producing clear liquid but rather a nice dark foam, you have to fine tune adjust it.

chris003 04-07-2009 06:51 PM

it is wide open now, with air line with no adjuster . i normally have a little ball valve as to let so much air in skimmer . but right now i took it off. with the turbofloater skimmer they give you 2" extention . i put it on ,but until now i have not used it . it been about 12 hours now since getting rid 2nd sump . skimmer has now returned to normal. but now will it do the same thing in the original sump where i have lights now,that is grow algae on bottom & sides? and start leaching nitrates back to display tank?

chris003 04-07-2009 07:06 PM

and do you think the light will be strong enough to penetrate threw acrylic. the scrubber panel lays at 45 deg . the top plate has holes in it so it soaks panel . but lights as you can see in pic are on outside . right now i have 2 75 watt grow bulbs but also have a pair of 125 watts grow bulbs also . had all 4 on at first but arcylic was getting hot , so i took off the 125 w and now just have the 2 75 watt on

onefish2fish 04-07-2009 09:35 PM

chris i got your message,
honestly i do not have experience with scrubbers. have you read this thread? http://www.fishforum.com/saltwater-a...ver-diy-18000/
im sure he would be better off to answer these questions.

personally i prefer the skimmer just because it seems like its better to remove nitrates from the water (and i grow chaeto algae in my refugium ) then to grow bad algaes to feed off of them. if a quality skimmer is doing what it should, the tank is set up the way it should, feeding is minimal and water changes happen, IMO there shouldnt be a need for one. then again, ive never used one so i wouldnt know, just my thoughts.