Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Can I... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/can-i-22444/)

Guppy Girl 03-25-2009 12:15 AM

Can I...

Alright here goes. A friend of mine dumped on me a pittiful little female betta thats missing most of her tail. Seems a male and a female didnt go well in a tiny little 2 gallon tank, so she gave her to me. Shes completly healthy, just mainly tail less. Anyways, my question is, can she go in my big tank? Im worried because of my male gourami, but I feel so bad for her in the tank I have her in right now, she looks so pittiful in there. Think she will be okay? Theres a lot of hiding places and such.

Cody 03-25-2009 12:45 AM

Tank size?

Also, I wouldn't.
1) If the tail has fin rot, that could potentially spread.
2) She needs to be quarantined for the same as above.
3) Gourami=Anabantid, Betta=Anabantid. Not good.

Guppy Girl 03-25-2009 08:48 AM

The tank is a 29 gallon
Its not fin rot, the other betta ate her tail (Ive had her for about a week now, it hasnt spread and she swims and eats and does everything a betta with a tail would do.)
And I know, thats why I was asking.

Cody 03-25-2009 09:11 AM

Which can tun into fin rot. Either way she needs to be medicated and quarantined.

Fishin Pole 03-25-2009 09:45 AM

I think your only option is to put her in your big tank if you dont have anywhere else to go with her........What is she in now?........If you dont have a quaratine tank or other equipment to set her up in something else, i say put her in your big tank..........A tail that has been nibbled away does not mean fin rot, yes it could lead to it, but thats not always the case.........I've kept african cichlids for many years and have seen fish with eaten away tails and they will recover in time without dosing them with medication..........The gourami in question is something to consider, but it will all depend on the fish and enviroment..........

catfishtabbi 03-25-2009 11:31 AM

Alot of people on the forum wrote that females do fine in a community tank but two female bettas fight like the males would.I'll be trying a pink female soon, so i'll post as to how it goes.

Guppy Girl 03-25-2009 03:48 PM

Well, its not turning into fin rot, and I have no quarintine tank. Shes perfectly healthy, and the tail is healed, just not a full tail. I will try her in the big tank, but if it doesnt work, I will put her back in her other tank.

Shes in a little square tank, not very big at all (maybe half a gallon or so?) one of those ones that come with the card board back grouds and you put the gravel in the center, which is why I want to move her.

Guppy Girl 03-26-2009 08:43 PM

Well I put her in, he chased her once, but leaves her alone now. She looks much better in the big tank.

catfishtabbi 03-27-2009 11:21 AM

Glad it's working out.One member wrote he has 5F and 1M and that occassionally they school. I would like to see that. It sounds too cute, given thier reputation.

Guppy Girl 03-29-2009 03:50 PM

Ha ha yeah, well, shes stays as far away from him as possible. She doesnt seem very fond of other fish from her experience