Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   new 10g reef question. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/new-10g-reef-question-22421/)

J-Jo 03-24-2009 06:45 AM

new 10g reef question.

hey everyone,
I have been searching your forum for a while on fresh and saltwater aquariums and decided that this was the best source of information ever!!! However I do come with a question.lol I am going to start a 10g reef aquarium and just have a goby or something like that. I went to the saltwater store we have yesterday to get some of the stuff to get started and the man really confused me. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about i just did not get it. I was under the impression that no matter the size of the tank i would have to have a filter and a protein skimmer plus have to do the whole months and months of cycling. He told me though that on a tank that size I dont need anything except a power head to move the water and a good light. Also that aslong as I bough cured live rock that i had to do no cycling what so ever. Can someone please clarify for me? i know they are expensive aquariums to have and have planned for that and also that they take a while to get going. but now i am very confused. thanks everyone in advance i just want to do it right the first time.

onefish2fish 03-24-2009 07:32 AM

it seems the guy knows what he is talking about however you have to keep in mind fish stores are businesses and need to make a profit themselves. your best protection is to do prior research before making ANY purchase.
on any saltwater tank you dont need a filter, period. on a 10 gallon tank you dont need a skimmer either but id still use one. (read online reviews as some are garbage and others golden) just a heads up, water parameters change very fast in a tank this small. i suggest alot more research. if you use cured live rock you will still have some die off from transfering it from the store to your house. even if you live 5 minutes away, die off still occurs and some things will die from the slight salinity, pH, temp and so forth differences between your tank and the shops. esp in a tank of this size, you will most likely see a minor cycle. for the record a cycle shouldnt take months and months but to have an established tank it takes months and months if not years and years. please do some more research on the subject to save yourself headache and money. look in your area for a local reefing club because they are great places to learn, meet people and pick up some equipment.
feel free to ask any questions.
welcome to the forum.

J-Jo 03-24-2009 10:22 AM

thanks i will for5 sure do that i have already decided not to set it up yet and dont feel like i have wasted money yet either as all i have bought is the tank, salt, and live sand. I have been searching for reef clubs but cant find any as i live in a small town. I am in middle tennessee if anyone knows of any that i might i have missed!

Kellsindell 03-24-2009 10:27 AM

Welcome!

To add to onefish, you need to test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate shortly after you get everything set up. As he said there will be a cycle and in bigger tanks it won't be noticeable but in smaller tanks, it may affect something. The reason you want to watch these is because during the cycle you're going to see ammonia go up and up and up daily and then drop down to 0ppm. then the same with nitrite and nitrate. once you've seen that occur you'll get a diatome bloom (an ugly algae) and you'll know your cycle is done.

Because it may be a smaller cycle you may not see this so after a week or so, you may need not test this anymore because your kit may not test for such low levels.

What are you using for flow? (what size and type and how many) and where are you going with this tank? FOWLR? Reef? if a reef what type of corals so that if you need help, we can assist with the type of lighting you need.

Kellsindell 03-24-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Jo (Post 181961)
thanks i will for5 sure do that i have already decided not to set it up yet and dont feel like i have wasted money yet either as all i have bought is the tank, salt, and live sand. I have been searching for reef clubs but cant find any as i live in a small town. I am in middle tennessee if anyone knows of any that i might i have missed!

You can check MASNA.org this link will take you to the club directory. If you can't find one for TN (and I didn't) then you can look for clubs closer to you or start your own club there!

Let me know if you've seen any updates of the reef in St. Jude's hospital i think in Memphis? it's an 800g that was donated to the hospital and it's made out of 2" acrylic!

J-Jo 03-24-2009 12:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I plan on it being a reef tank with maybe just a goby and some cleaners to help with the algae. I was told that i didnt need powerheads or anything in the tank just light. I'm not exactly sure yet what kind of coral I am wanting to go with just good beginner ones. any advice?

Pasfur 03-24-2009 05:42 PM

If you are not sure what types of corals you want, it is difficult to suggest the level of water flow required. You will definitely need SOME water flow, and depending on the corals, you may be surprised by the amount of flow desired.

J-Jo 03-25-2009 08:31 AM

thanks everyone. do you know of any corals that would be good for beginners? or a website that deals with specifics of corals?

onefish2fish 03-25-2009 08:40 AM

softies..

xenia, kenya tree, green star polyps,zoathids ,palythoas, mushrooms

Pasfur 03-25-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Jo (Post 182219)
thanks everyone. do you know of any corals that would be good for beginners? or a website that deals with specifics of corals?

The best source I know of is a rather inexpensive soft back book by Eric Borneman. It should be easy to find at your library or amazon.com.