Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   hiding clown loaches (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/hiding-clown-loaches-22406/)

scooterjuniuspilot 03-23-2009 04:37 PM

hiding clown loaches

a few days ago we added a pair of loaches to our angelfish tank. we rarely see them because they are always burried underneath the gravel. if they decide to come out, its only for maybe 5 seconds max and then they're hiding again. whats with this?

Twistersmom 03-23-2009 07:53 PM

Clown loaches can be quite shy.
They do better in groups of 5 or more, dont know if your tank is big enough to house that many.
Maybe once they get settled in, you will see them more.
I have found clown loaches to have different personalites, some I have brought home have been extremely shy, others not at all, even get in my way during water changes.

1077 03-24-2009 04:24 AM

I have three juvenile clown loaches in a 75 gal community tank (talapia died) In the tank are two very large pieces of driftwood that nearly cover the bottom of the tank. numerous pieces of flagstone and slate are laying this way,and that,across the wood and leaning up against smaller pieces. It is not a very attractive mess ,but the clown loaches,bristlenose,and kuhli loaches love it.
I have found that the more places you make for fish to feel safe ,or to be able to dart to if startled, the more you see of them. Fish with only a few places to rest or hide at,, will often times not stray far from those areas.

scooterjuniuspilot 03-25-2009 01:39 AM

thank you!

onefish2fish 03-25-2009 06:46 AM

how big is this tank? these fish grow over a foot.

1077 03-25-2009 08:05 AM

Onefish2fish, makes a good point. If fish are to be kept long term,, they will eventually need a large tank 100 gal would be minimum in my view. It is said that clowwn loaches grow rather quickly from juveniles to five inches long and then, growth slows somewhat. Given their sensitivity to less than ideal water conditions few ever reach the twelve inches that 2fish rightly pointed out.
My own observations thus far,indicate that they do better with current and high oxygen levels. Frequent small water changes are perhaps needed as well.

scooterjuniuspilot 03-28-2009 03:00 AM

thank you for your info. im totally aware how large they grow. i have them in a small tank now, for they are only an inch and a half. we have plans to upgrade to larger tanks as they grow and occupy the smaller tanks with new fish

1077 03-28-2009 03:17 AM

They are much cheaper to purchase when small and I'm glad you have plans for larger tank. They are nocturnal to some degree but if plenty of cover is provided they may venture out more. The ones I am caring for enjoy,, Frozen mysis shrimp, frozen blood worms, freeze dried krill, spirulina flake,tetra bits,and ocean nutrition formula one. I usually feed the clowns just before dark, or at dawn when they appear more active.