Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   danger of pH crashes with CO2 system? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/danger-ph-crashes-co2-system-22401/)

Kim 03-23-2009 02:35 PM

danger of pH crashes with CO2 system?

I just set up my DIY co2 system 3 days ago and it is working great! I have a 29 gallon tank and it is a 2 liter soda bottle with 2 cups sugar and 1/2 tsp. yeast. I am using a glass diffuser which was a worthwhile investment and all is well with my plants which are actually producing air bubbles off of the leaves and growing like I have never seen before :-D. My question is about pH crashes with CO2 systems. My pH is normally around 7.5 and it has gone down to 7.0 since adding the CO2. It has been reading a stable 7.0 for 24 hours now. My KH is 3. The tank is cycled and I am going to be adding about 25 guppy fry that really need the upgrade. Is it safe at this point to add the fry (after proper acclimation of course)? Thank you ;-).

Kim

1077 03-24-2009 04:42 AM

Guppys would do much better in Ph 7.4 to 7.8. Like many of the livebearers they prefer slightly alkaline water. If your Ph does not fall too far below 7.0 you may be OK. Were it me,, I might check the Ph of a morning first thing,, and then of an evening before bed. If it remains stable then all is well. If not,, I would not add the fishes.

Mikaila31 03-24-2009 04:55 PM

You might want to add some baking soda to up your KH. You can google for the correct dosage. Your low KH value is going to mean an larger PH drop with the CO2. I don't really see any problems with a ph of 7. I raise tons of endlers in a ph of7.0-7.2. Also water changes shouldn't be a problem. My tap runs 7.7 and 50% water changes have never bothered my fish.

flight50 03-25-2009 12:34 PM

3 is the lowest kh reading you want when using co2. i would keep an eye on it. 4-5 would be safe so if it does drop 1-2 degrees your still in the safe zone. look up the ratio for adding baking soda for the correct amount to be sure. i think its 1 tsp= 1 degree for a 50l tank. look it up though. i may be wrong. another thing is, go ahead and rig up 2 more coke bottle and by weeks in, prepare another batch of c02 so when the old batch exhaust you will have new ones ready. as the bottles ages the bubble count drops quicker than pressurized co2. diy runs out quick. especially if you don't have a valve on it. install check valves too if you haven't already.

Kim 03-25-2009 01:39 PM

Ok, I checked this morning and the pH was still at 7.0. I'm actually wondering about the accuracy of my test kit because I tried to change my pH when I was new to the hobby, and nothing I did would affect it at all leading me to believe that I have a high natural buffer. I've already had issues with the ammonia test from the kit so....I think I need a new one. Thanks all.

steelerfan 03-28-2009 08:05 PM

CO2 induced low pH is no real prob for fish. Mine runs at a little over 6.0, and all are happy. It's KH and TDS you gotta watch.