Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   T5 Lighting Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/t5-lighting-question-22398/)

Bartman 03-23-2009 12:57 PM

T5 Lighting Question
 
So I am now in the process of finding the best lighting for my particular set up (listed in my signature)

I have found this product, "Coralife S/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-36") which is perfect as the length of the tank is the same. Is this a good product and is the lighting that comes with it sufficient for corals, hard and soft?

Thank you!

Adam Bartman

Bartman 03-23-2009 01:04 PM

Or how is this product?
Current Nova Extreme High Output T5 Fixture-36"

B Castle 03-23-2009 02:34 PM

The Coralife, if it's the same one I looked at (only I need 48"), is not HO, so you'll be very underpowered for a reef tank. FOWLR, I think it is fine.

I've also heard that these lights need to be sealed from underneath or the endcaps tend to rust out.

Bartman 03-23-2009 02:47 PM

HO as in halogen?

jesterns2 03-23-2009 03:14 PM

I believe he means High Output. Not that i`m very experienced but if you`r going reef you will be better off with MH=Metal Halaide lighting even if its in combination with t-5 actinics. I was told without Mh lighting i`d be limited on corals and definetly no clams. I`d ask around, like I said i`m not real experienced but it`s what I have been told on several different occasions. Hope I helped

B Castle 03-23-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesterns2 (Post 181754)
I believe he means High Output. Not that i`m very experienced but if you`r going reef you will be better off with MH=Metal Halaide lighting even if its in combination with t-5 actinics. I was told without Mh lighting i`d be limited on corals and definetly no clams. I`d ask around, like I said i`m not real experienced but it`s what I have been told on several different occasions. Hope I helped

Right, jesterns2. HO=High output. HO T5s are adequate for many corals, and there are some that choose T5s over MHs. I'd consider, if you are keeping corals, a 4-bulb HO T5 to be the minimum... especially if it's a tank that is deeper than average. MH would be your choice to get light penetration down near the bottom of the tank.

I'm by no means a lighting expert, but I've recently been researching the same thing as my single bulb flourescent has got to go, and I want to plan ahead for some corals down the road.

Bartman 03-23-2009 04:21 PM

Sounds good.

GTOX44 03-23-2009 07:07 PM

Hey I'm looking to buy a 24" 4 bulb t5 fixture. Where can I find one that will be good enough to support corals yet not too expensive?

onefish2fish 03-23-2009 10:22 PM

power compacts
pros:
-cheap fixture from the start
-run cool
cons:
-short bulb life
-very limited to coral selection

T5s
pros:
-"medium" priced fixture from the start
-medium electricity
-well rounded selection of what you can keep
-great options for the color output in the tank
cons:
-run "medium" priced fixture from the start
-run "medium" heat
-bulbs need replacement every 8-12 months at $20-25 per bulb, so if you have an 8 bulb fixture...

metal halides:
pros:
-no limits to which corals you can keep
-creates a "shimmer effect"
cons:
-run very hot, can lead to the need of a chiller
-1 bulb means meeting colors is difficult, very often people have to supplement with actinic PCs or T5s
-"medium-high" fixture price from the start
-uses the most electricity

LEDS
pros:
-runs the coolest
-most energy efficient
cons:
-extremely high cost of fixture
-i have heard of people having there LEDs fail, which the company seemed to replace no issue but i have also heard that they are going out of business, again this is only what ive heard.


i personally use T5s which i built using icecap ballasts and endcaps. it really all comes down to what you wish to keep, what fits your needs to work for you and your system. you should also keep in mind any future upgrades to avoid having to purchase lighting twice. i strongly feel that lighting and protein skimming are the 2 most important peices of equipment for a reef tank.

Kellsindell 03-24-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

T5 Lighting Question So I am now in the process of finding the best lighting for my particular set up (listed in my signature) I have found this product, "Coralife S/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-36") which is perfect as the length of the tank is the same. Is this a good product and is the lighting that comes with it sufficient for corals, hard and soft?
I personally am considering using t-5 lights. I currently use 2 175w MH bulbs with actinic supplementation. I'm getting good growth, but not the coloration that i should be getting. They have many options and if you get a fixture that is a HO then it'll keep basically anything under it with less heat then my MH bulbs. I use passive cooling (fans) to keep my tank from getting too hot and it's a bit annoying, especially here in TX when the temp swings 30+ degrees in a day easily.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOX44 (Post 181817)
Hey I'm looking to buy a 24" 4 bulb t5 fixture. Where can I find one that will be good enough to support corals yet not too expensive?

There are several places to purchase. I've used Marinedepot.com drsfosterandsmith.com and reefgeek.com. There are several others but you can do some shopping and price comparison by checking them all out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2