Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   My 1 month old 45 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-1-month-old-45-gallon-22380/)

jaybyrd 03-22-2009 11:48 PM

My 1 month old 45 gallon

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, I stand corrected - my aquarium is a mere 45 gallon. I like it! And seems all that matters. I love this forum - who else does? ;-)

So here is the growth and all from the first month.

Oh yes - has anyone experienced a male gourami being aggressive towards a betta or dwarf gourami? If so - what is a remedy other than trding the fish to the LFS?

I thought pearl gouramis were nice and sweet - but Zen is rather boisterous.

veganchick 03-23-2009 12:47 PM

wow, that looks great! Is that a cory I see at the bottom?

dramaqueen 03-23-2009 01:09 PM

Gouramis and bettas are in the same family and both are territorial so they will fight. Its best to separate them.

Byron 03-23-2009 03:13 PM

Those plants will grow and fill in nicely; well done.

jaybyrd 03-24-2009 12:12 AM

thanks

1 Attachment(s)
Vegan chick thanks for the compliments. Yes, I have 4 panda cories cruising the bottom of the tank. They are pretty cool little fish and seem to clean the bottom of the aquarium.

drama queen - I removed the pearl gourami "Zen" from the aquarium last night for his non zen-like behavior. My little red dwarf gourami has suffered attacks for 2+ weeks and Zen never quit bullying the citizens of the tank. Zen is now back at the LFS and a little powder blue gourami has replaced him with a 3rd south american ciclid - a butterfly ciclid. Things have mellowed quite a bit since Zen's removal - I regret that because he was a lovely gourami.

Byron - yes the plants are growing. See the picture of the tank a month earlier posted at the end of this message.

By the way my betta is very curious. When I place my finger in the water he swims up and coils around my finger effectively petting me. This happens all the time. He even follows my hand when I mess around with the plants in the tank!

Thanks again for the kind comments.

JingleAllTheWay 03-24-2009 12:27 PM

Beautiful fish. I have some neon tetras, they are so pretty.

Kim 03-24-2009 09:47 PM

Beautiful tank - it really has grown in well! Looks like you've got a nice bubble nest in the first picture...I wonder who's it is since you've got both gouramis and a betta in there. I'd just watch the gourami/betta thing carefully because they are both territorial and powder blues are supposed to be kind of aggressive if I remember correctly. BTW, aren't bettas so cute with their personable little behaviors!

cerianthus 03-25-2009 03:07 PM

Nice! It seems your male Ram (I think) needs companion asap.

willow 03-30-2009 04:18 PM

hi
what a lovley tank,and the colour of the neons is absolutly awsome !

MBilyeu 03-30-2009 06:54 PM

Looking good. The plants should fill out nicely!