Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Possible decoration woes. Clear coat? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/possible-decoration-woes-clear-coat-22379/)

jtanczos 03-22-2009 10:30 PM

Possible decoration woes. Clear coat?

I recent acquired a few decorations for my aquarium that have had complaints in the past about not being completely color-fast. Can I use Krylon Fusion Clear, Fusion MYSTIC PRISM EFFECT or Klass-coat epoxy paint to clear coat them before putting them in the tank? Since the tank is an upgrade from a 10 gallon it will cycle before any fish are added so I have a few weeks to let everything dry.

I know what the general rule is about messing with things in the tank. I am just trying to pick the best method to protect what I already have.

Thanks

daisycutter 03-23-2009 12:00 AM

there are sealants desined for aqatic use are there not?

Byron 03-23-2009 10:08 AM

I would never add any item to a fish tank if there is any hint that it will leech substances into the water (except bogwood of course, which is natural). If the colours will dissolve from the decorations, you will be adding toxic substances into the water. Not good.

Tyyrlym 03-23-2009 01:02 PM

Unless the sealant is intended for submerged use I wouldn't consider it. In fact I still wouldn't use it because slight leeching in a river is not the concern slight leeching will be in a fish tank. If you don't trust the decorations just don't put them in.

jtanczos 03-23-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisycutter (Post 181638)
there are sealants desined for aqatic use are there not?

I would believe so. That is why I am here.

I am planning on using what I have for this project. I did a lot of research on this I understand the risks and want to minimize them without buying new scenery for my tank.

People have had good luck with Krylon fusion and 2 part epoxy paints. I am wondering if the clear coat would be acceptable and what brand name epoxy clear coat would work.

For what its worth I will be "baking" them under a halogen so they heat up without going in the oven.

Fishin Pole 03-23-2009 05:26 PM

Its just my opinion, but that seems like alot of work and time for decorations.........The time and cost of the paint or epoxy would probably pay for new tank decorations.........Then there is the stated risk of putting possible toxins in your tank that might leech into your silicon seals, which could cause a leak in the future or absorb into the silicone to be relased later..............In my opinion, its not worth the risk to the future inhabitants of your tank..........It could be fine forever or they could release something in a month from now........You never know with the unknown..........

jtanczos 03-23-2009 06:08 PM

Maybe but I like the stuff I have. :-) They are very colorful! I guess I just have to keep looking for food grade epoxies. I will find something eventually.