Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Finding a new hood... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/finding-new-hood-22360/)

JingleAllTheWay 03-22-2009 03:51 PM

Finding a new hood...

Walmart.com: Mini Bow 5-Gallon Aquarium Kit: Fish

This is the tank I have. I guess from all the water that accumulated under the hood, the light went out. So I replaced it. A little while later (and I mean a very little while) the light went out...again. Now even when I put a new light in, it doesn't work! I have another tank that is the same kind as this one but smaller, and it came with thick plastic covering the inside of the hood, so the water can't get to the light. Why didn't they make this one like that??

Does anyone know where to get another hood that would fit this tank? I have no idea how much money that could cost...I might just want to get a new kind of tank altogether.

Tyyrlym 03-23-2009 08:16 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but with a tank like that you're unlikely to find replacement parts. Your best bet will be to find a clip on fluorescent or incandescent fixture. You could possibly even use a desk lamp for a light. I'd recommend modifying the hood to cut out the current fixture and put in a piece of egg crate or glass so light can get in but fish can't get out. The downside is that will probably cost as much as the tank did originally.

Heck, you could always use this as an excuse to upgrade to a conventional ten gallon tank.

JingleAllTheWay 03-23-2009 09:35 AM

I know. I want a 10 gallon badly. I may just save until I have enough for that. :-)

Tyyrlym 03-23-2009 11:24 AM

Well lets see. Prices are approximate mind you.

You can get a 10 gallon tank for about $10 or $11 bucks.
A Penguin 100 or 150 filter will run you around $20 to $25
A 50W visi-therm stealth will be about $22
A hood and light set up will cost between $25 and $40 all told.

That gets you everything you have to have for the tank. Admittedly you'll need more gravel than you have in your 5 gallon but sand or gravel is cheap at a home supply store, figure $5 for more than you'll need in a long time. So all told the cost is about $90 to $110 bucks to start off. Interestingly for about $20 to $30 more you can go all the way up to a 20 gallon. And for about the same increase get a 30 gallon. Admittedly that's a lot more than just replacing the mini-set up you've got but a 20 or 30 gallon tank, even a 10 gives you a lot more options on what you can keep.

One thing to keep an eye out for would be a tank/hood/light combo. Unless you're looking to grow live plants the packages will provide you with both your tank and hood/light for about $5 to $10 bucks less than buying them seperately.

JohnnyD44 03-23-2009 12:44 PM

Yeah good call on just upgrading. I thought about buying a 10G a when I first started out, I bit the bullet, spent the extra $25 and never looked backed. I know I'm much happier with the 20 gallon than with my ten

you could always check craiglistin your area. you can get a used aquarium really cheap and just clean it up all nice. But if you're saving for a 10G, just save a little while long and get the 20, or 30!!!

JingleAllTheWay 03-23-2009 12:46 PM

Oh if only I had room for bigger than a 10g. I would love a bigger one than that, but at the moment no room at all. I've really already exceeded the limit with the ones I have...though I might be able to fit another on my desk....hmm.
Just a question. If you get a new tank, what do you do with the old fish? I mean, with the whole cycling process, do you just keep the old fish in the old tank until the new tank is ready?

Tyyrlym 03-23-2009 01:36 PM

Good news, keep the ones you have. The tank you have has a filter.

Once you have the new tank set up move your fish over and then take out the filter pad or foam or whatever it is you currently have. Put that in your new filter and leave it there for two weeks minimum, up to four weeks. The bacteria on the old foam or material will colonize the new filter. Additionally you can use the gravel from your old tank to help too, but I'd recommend giving it a good rinse in old tank water to get rid of the gunk that might be in it. I can't guarantee no cycle but by using old filter material and the gravel you should have a small cycle at worst. Just test the water regularly and stay on top of your water changes if need be.