Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Helanthium bolivianum (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/helanthium-bolivianum-223578/)

mwarsell 07-10-2013 12:55 PM

Helanthium bolivianum

I just wanted to thank Byron and the reference material on this plant.

I bought it a few days ago, planted it to my tank (with decent water temp and values), everything looked good. But already the next day the leaves began becoming very hollow and yellowish. First I thought, iron deficiency (could be that too, but all my other plants are fine), but then I found the info here on this plant, which specified that this plant could be grown emersed or submerged. And that if prev. grown emersed and then submerged, the oval leaves will TURN YELLOW AND FALL OFF IF GROWN SUBMERGED. Wow. Huh. It must've been emersed in the aqua store, but I didn't notice and neither did the lady tell me that, which she probably should have.

But...I'm getting the new thinner, cooler-looking leaves back, right? When it first gets rid of the yellow ones?

Boredomb 07-10-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwarsell (Post 2513970)
I just wanted to thank Byron and the reference material on this plant.

I bought it a few days ago, planted it to my tank (with decent water temp and values), everything looked good. But already the next day the leaves began becoming very hollow and yellowish. First I thought, iron deficiency (could be that too, but all my other plants are fine), but then I found the info here on this plant, which specified that this plant could be grown emersed or submerged. And that if prev. grown emersed and then submerged, the oval leaves will TURN YELLOW AND FALL OFF IF GROWN SUBMERGED. Wow. Huh. It must've been emersed in the aqua store, but I didn't notice and neither did the lady tell me that, which she probably should have.

But...I'm getting the new thinner, cooler-looking leaves back, right? When it first gets rid of the yellow ones?

If this plant was grown emersed then yes the leaves will turn yellow and fall off. You should see new narrow leaves forming at the same time. Over time all the emersed leaves will fall off and you should have new submersed leaves forming.

mwarsell 09-08-2013 01:25 AM

These plants never took off :( the leaves just turned brown and withered away. One of them never grew submerged leaves, the other one did grow like 1" submerged leaves but it hasn't grown since.

All my other plants are fine. Substrate is Eco Complete Black. Used a fert ball in the substrate under the roots.

Boredomb 09-08-2013 07:29 AM

Do you still have the plant in the tank? Can you take a pic of it?

mwarsell 09-08-2013 07:53 AM

Not sure how to a pic here? :/

Boredomb 09-08-2013 08:24 AM

When you click on add New post in a thread scroll all the way down on the page. You will see a button called Manage Attachments click it. That's where you can attach a pic. Or if you use a photo storage program like Photobucket. You can copy the IMG or direct link and paste it directly in the post and it will show up.

mwarsell 09-08-2013 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It was hard to take a pic of it, but it is there on the bottom, maube an inch from the substrate. It has not grown for like 2 months.

It is in the middle back, behind that mattogrossense branch.

Boredomb 09-08-2013 08:58 AM

Hmm I can't see it. This might sound like a silly question but where did you get the plant from?

mwarsell 09-08-2013 09:11 AM

From a LFS. That is just an offshoot the mother plant, which, I think, they had grown emersed since both of them withered away although my other plants did well.

In the photo there is this rightmost ipad photo reflection corner, it's just on the right of that.

Boredomb 09-08-2013 09:36 AM

Oh OK I think I see it now. It has yellow/brown tips?