Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Canister filter questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/canister-filter-questions-22290/)

MBilyeu 03-19-2009 06:29 PM

Canister filter questions

So rather than building a wet/dry right away for my new 75 gallon, I was thinking about getting a canister in the interim. Every canister seems like it is way overrated though. The fluval 405 says that it can handle a 100 gallon tank, but only puts out 340gph(not 500+). Rena tells me that the xp2 is big enough for my tank with only 300gph. Shouldn't I be looking at something with at least 375gph? So for a 75 gallon, I need to be looking at an fx5? Or is there something about canisters that allow you to use less water flow? Also has anyone had experience with jebo canisters? The 829 sells brand new on ebay for about $100 with 5 tiers for media and rated flow of 396 gph, I will probably end up going with this unless there are overall bad vibes with this company.

catfishtabbi 03-19-2009 10:04 PM

You might like to call the company that makes it to see if they stand behind it. That's cheap @ $100 , if its backed by a replacement warranty or you can at least get phone support and order parts i would snatch it up . One more point to consider is, IF you need temporary filtration while say your repairing the w/d or whatever you'll want a back up that will fully suppurt your tank, so don't skimp thinking it's temporary.

easty83 03-19-2009 11:57 PM

IMO gph is not everything. Whats the point if all your water is zooming past the media too fast for any of the good processes to take place. Dont forget virtually all the manufacturers of filters rate their filters with no media in them so realistically your flow is never as good as it states on the box.

I personally use eheim filters, the reason i chose these was because of their reliability and they have a very good rep for being great at the biological side of things.

End of the day your best bet is to read reviews and spend the most you can afford on the filter.

1077 03-20-2009 03:53 AM

In my humble opinion, Gallons per hour is all important. The water that flows ,must pass through the filter material it can't flow past it. The larger the turnover of water, the better. I would look for canister that didn't take five trays of assorted media which can get pricey ,,but was capable of the task. Think about your stocking levels, and types and size of fish you will be keeping.

easty83 03-20-2009 05:02 AM

I wasnt talking about it going past it i was talking about the beneficial bacteria not having enough contact with the water to have the best results. ie if it was the case that gallons per hour was all that mattered then you would have every pump having the max output known to man and no media baskets for bacteria just mechanical..

1077 03-20-2009 06:12 AM

Bacteria has contact with the water continuously.I'ts the same water recirculating hourly through the filter media all day.
On something like a UV sterilizer where contact time with UV bulb is important,I would agree that a slower rate of flow might be preferable to allow more contact time with ultraviolet light.

easty83 03-20-2009 06:32 AM

sorry but i believe with that sort of thinking why not just have 1 biological media in a canister filter if the water is in contact all day??

But hey this an age old debate that no side will win so i will agree to disagree

easty83 03-20-2009 06:33 AM

oops i meant 1 biological media basket

Tyyrlym 03-20-2009 06:33 AM

Canisters operate differently from HoB's. So while you're typically looking for at least 5 times turn over an hour in a HoB you can get by with maybe only 3 on a canister just fine.

The way they're different is residence time. Your average HoB moves water through its media very quickly. That's because the amount of biomedia it has is very small. There's a good chance an ammonia molecule can go right through the HoB and not get processed. So to make up for that HoBs move a LOT of water through themselves. If they can't get that ammonia molecule the first time they'll get it the second, third, or forth.

On the other hand canisters have a HUGE quantity of biomedia, additionally the water flows through them comparatively slowly. That means they have a much much higher chance of getting that ammonia molecule or pulling that piece of gunk out of suspension, or having that chemical hit the carbon.

Having more gph is always good, but the requirements for adequate filtration are different for the different style filters.

1077 03-20-2009 06:45 AM

I would agree up to a point. The bacteria we are discussing colonizes on every surface in the aquarium it is not confined to the filter media.The thought that a stray molecule ,or a covey of em for that matter.. Would slip past without first asking if it were moving too quickly, would not be of any consequence in an established tank.JMO