Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Question about Guppies? ... ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/question-about-guppies-2228/)

amber2218 01-01-2007 04:45 PM

Question about Guppies? ... ?

Hi I have a good sized coldwater tank with 4 Fantails, 2 Orandas, 2 Pearlscales and a Yellow goldfish... The water temp is around 21-22 C (68-70 F) and I wondered if 1 or 2 guppies would be a possibility? All of my fish are sociable & I wanted a more interesting variety of fsh.... if guppys arnt possible then what others are? Plz help!!! xx :D

p.s if the temp is an issue I could purchase a heater to raise it a bit more ..

Any advice greatly appriciated... HAPPY NEW YR EVERY1! xx

Lauri 01-01-2007 04:50 PM

Re: Question about Guppies? ... ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber2218
Hi I have a good sized coldwater tank with 4 Fantails, 2 Orandas, 2 Pearlscales and a Yellow goldfish... The water temp is around 21-22 C (68-70 F) and I wondered if 1 or 2 guppies would be a possibility? All of my fish are sociable & I wanted a more interesting variety of fsh.... if guppys arnt possible then what others are? Plz help!!! xx :D

p.s if the temp is an issue I could purchase a heater to raise it a bit more ..

Any advice greatly appriciated... HAPPY NEW YR EVERY1! xx

Hi Amber welcome to fishforum. Well it would depend. First how many gallons is your tank? I do believe but not 100% sure, that you would need a heater for the guppies I believe 78-82 degrees . :)

Daz 01-01-2007 04:52 PM

Danio's are a good choice.

Lauri 01-01-2007 04:56 PM

Yes Danios could be a choice for you depending on the size of your tank.

Technically danios are considered cold-water fish, preferring water in the 64-75 degree range.

amber2218 01-01-2007 05:09 PM

the tank is 30 x 15 x 12 (88litre / 18 gallon) wuold definatley be prepared to buy a heater though... would the fish i have now be fine with the slight temp change? Thnx all xx

Lauri 01-01-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber2218
the tank is 30 x 15 x 12 (88litre / 18 gallon) wuold definatley be prepared to buy a heater though... would the fish i have now be fine with the slight temp change? Thnx all xx

To be completely honest amber I would not put anymore fish in there. You will be way over stocked, sorry.

Daz 01-01-2007 05:15 PM

Oranda bred in a slightly more heated temp can survive I have done that before. Thing is you'll get the biotope brigade on your back as its not the correct envioroment for the species. :)

amber2218 01-01-2007 05:25 PM

ahhhhhh ok .. so its not a gd idea about the guppies lol the fish I have now are all quite small, I know they guna grow but would there be too many if i added one more small fish? xx

Goldfish _Girl 01-17-2007 07:14 PM

Sorry Amber but you are waay too over-stocked. Goldfish need at least 45 litres each as babies and double that or more as adults! (even fancy goldfish) so before even thinking about getting more fish you will need a larger aquarium. How long have you had your fish in tis tank because it is most likely you have stunted their growth which is'nt a good thing :(
If you are going to get a larger aquarium I would suggest white cloud minnows - they are great hardy coldwater fish! :)