Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Underground filter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/underground-filter-22241/)

Livelifelaughlove 03-17-2009 09:05 PM

Underground filter?

Aquatic Edge Hexagon Mini 2gal fish Tank

i have the fish tank above. It has an underground filter, and everything is set up how they told me, yet i was giving him a water change, and there is still a whole bunch of icky stuff in the tank. my gravel is probably 3 inches deep. To deep? what could be the problem?
I have been sick so i haven't changed they water in probably 2-3 weeks *i know i know*
Just need it more frequently or what?

dramaqueen 03-17-2009 09:11 PM

Sorry I can't answer your questions. Nice tank though.

Livelifelaughlove 03-17-2009 09:42 PM

Lol thanks. I got it for $16 at petco

Tyyrlym 03-18-2009 08:57 AM

Well, you need to do more frequent water changes. With that size tank I'd probably recommend bi weekly 1 gallon changes. You also need to vacuum the gravel when you do a water change. With an undergravel filter you have to be careful though, I'd only vacuum half the gravel each week. A small siphon/vacuum should be available at your local pet store, for that size tank get the smallest they've got.

What's happening is pretty simple. When you're adding the water back in its stirring up the crud that's in the gravel because your gravel is your mechanical and biological filter in this set up. Regular vacuuming will help to reduce the amount of gunk that builds up.

Livelifelaughlove 03-18-2009 06:23 PM

Ok thanks!

And i am aware that i need to give more often water changes. I was pretty sick though. And then getting into the school routine and all just kinda wiped me out.
I am going over to Eugene next week and will deffinatly look for a gravel vacuum! thank you very much for your input.

Tyyrlym 03-19-2009 08:04 AM

Not a problem. I know how hard it can be to find time for tank maintenance. With two kids my weekly water changes have become more like every ten day water changes. Not happy about it, but I've got a tank that refuses to build nitrates and has enough flow to stay relatively clean without my intervention. On my tank at work though it gets minimum weekly changes but more like twice a week usually.

Heartl 03-19-2009 12:06 PM

My daughter has that tank. Instead of doing weekly we change half of her water with water form one of my larger tanks like twice a week. Seems to leave the fish less shell shocked. If you do not have another aquarium I would just do the half every week. In a tank that small be sure to float the fish ever time you change water.

Livelifelaughlove 03-19-2009 12:25 PM

Yep, got it all figured out...
I usually do really well at water changes, since i don't really do anything on sundays, so sunday afternoon i change the water... but again, i got sick, had eye/ear/sinus infections... and missed 11 days of school. So catch up and all was a nightmare!