Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10gallon freshwater tank ideas?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10gallon-freshwater-tank-ideas-222385/)

volco 07-08-2013 06:06 PM

10gallon freshwater tank ideas??

Hello everyone, I am new to this website. I stopped liked the looks of it and the community and thought I would join :D I currently have a 16 gallon tank (not in use atm) and will be getting a 10 gallon tank ready to go from a friend. I was very lucky to have 2 friends that can both give me tanks. Now the reason I have 2 tanks is because I will be going off to college and will be taking the 10 gallon with me. I had fish as a kid but I am still new to this completely. I am wondering if anyone can recommend some good fish for a beginner with a 10 gallon tank?? I like the dwarf puffers but I am not sure that would be a good fish for beginners. I like the more "weird" or "exotic" fish but understand that may not be the best idea since I am new. So any suggestions are welcome.

Thank You!!!
Volco

Convict Ciclid 07-08-2013 06:46 PM

try some ciclids those are pretty cool fish just dont overcrowd ur tank get a couple only

volco 07-08-2013 06:57 PM

Can I put Cichlids in a 10 gallon tank? I know some of them get pretty big, or is there perhaps a specific kind of cichlid that would stay small enough for a 10 gallon?

Byron 07-08-2013 07:35 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

No to cichlids, a 10g is not going to be adequate for any. You want to look at small fish, like those for nano tanks. But first we need to know the water parameters, meaning GH (general hardness) and pH of the source water where you'll be. This you can get from the municipal water people, on their website usually. This is important because these small fish will almost always be wild caught and they have more specific needs.

Byron.

volco 07-08-2013 07:51 PM

Oh okay thank you that's is what I figured. I would love to have cichlids but I have heard they need at least 20 gallons I believe. I looked up the water for my area and it said the pH level is 7.8 and the hardness level is 295 PPM. I don't really know what that means. If it's good or bad any ideas??

NewFishFiend 07-08-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volco (Post 2501673)
Oh okay thank you that's is what I figured. I would love to have cichlids but I have heard they need at least 20 gallons I believe. I looked up the water for my area and it said the pH level is 7.8 and the hardness level is 295 PPM. I don't really know what that means. If it's good or bad any ideas??

Sounds to me like you got moderately hard water. My water system site shows my hardness at 36ppm and when I test it out of the tap its at 2dh. I have very soft water. My ph from the water site tests at 8.11, and out of the tab its 7.8. Find a fish that likes hard water and smaller tank sizes. I believe livebearers like hard water, such as a platy.
Dwarf puffers don't mind water anywhere from soft to fairly hard. And 1 dwarf puffer will actually be fine in a 10 gallon. Dwarf puffers (as all puffers) are scaless so their skin can tear very easily. You will want to keep a soft substrate and no pointy or sharp decorations as they can easily damage their skin on it. This also makes them more susceptible to disease. They prefer live plants and this can help with your water quality as well. You will want to already have your tank cycled before you even think of adding this fish.
Another thing to think about with any puffer fish is their beaks. They need crunch food to make up the majority of their diet. I have saps (which are the worst for their beaks growing so fast) and feed them a diet of 95% live ramshorn and pond snails that I grow for them. They absolutely should not be fed any kind of flake or pellet food. They need only live or frozen foods. For treats my lil guys get frozen bloodworms occassionally, and I have just added shell on shrimp to their diet. They very much enjoy that as well.
Puffers are not hard to take care of but they are intelligent fish and need to have a tank that interests them. Keeping up water parameters is important but that is with absolutely any fish. And their diet needs are a lil more work. Puffers enjoy hunting for snails when you drop them in their tanks though. With harold and mikey I drop a couple in a day. If i did more than that, they would hunt them and eat them until they couldn't swim because they would be so full.

Byron 07-09-2013 10:25 AM

GH at 295ppm is about 16 dGH, which is fairly hard. For a 10g, Endler Livebearers would be one option. Guppy of course, but not very interesting for some people. Browse the profiles.

volco 07-09-2013 01:44 PM

Alright cool. I mean I am most interested in Dwarf Puffers they seem cool. I know they can be aggressive but is there any sort of fish that is a suitable tank mate for them? I have read up on them but haven't seen anything. Also can i use an automatic fish feeder with dwarf puffer food? My friend mentioned to me that I should get an automatic fish feeder but I am not sure if there is a limit to what kind of fish food you could put in there. Reason I need one is because during school breaks like spring break I would need an auto fish feeder but I can take them home on longer breaks I can take them home.

praveentnair 07-09-2013 02:14 PM

try AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor for the fish compatibility. that is a pretty cool webesite for calculating the load.

Why don't you make a planted aquarium with few celestial danios? Those are really small fishes but are very intersting. You can try Killi fishes too. If you are adding sand as substrate, then having pigmy corys will be a fun watching them foraging for food. You can have them as a small group of 5. Since they are 1" max, the load may not be a big issue if you keep more than 5. Or try some shrimps... a planted tank with cherry shrimp s will also be good.. good luck with your tank.. please share pictures when you are done...

volco 07-09-2013 02:27 PM

I like those ideas. I don't know if I would do sand I might just stick with pebbles or something. Would a freshwater tank with sand be hard to manage? another question about planted tanks. Do they need special lighting etc? I have heard they are an advantage but they create more algae? A planted tank with Celestial danios and cherry shrimp sounds like a neat idea. I am not sure if they are good tank mates though I will try using that site you gave me.