Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Stocking Scheme

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  musho3210 
#1 ·
Here is my stocking scheme for a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium, tell me if i can add more or take away some

5 zebra danios (already have, i might get just 1 more since 6 is better than 5)
2 male Swordtails (if i get 3, i will have 2 females and 1 male)
4 ghost shrimp (already have, dont plan on getting more)

I wouldnt mind cories with this, but im not sure if my gravel is good for them, heres a picture of my gravel (you might see my little ghost shrimp)

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems fine with me.:) As long as your gravel does not have sharp edges, the cories will be fine.

#4 ·
musho3210 said:
define sharp, and if i can get cories or loaches, what type?
Try to touch your gravel and if you feel there are rough and pointed edges, the gravel is considered sharp.
Any species of cories are fine. For loaches, try kuhlis, dwarf chain, yoyos or angelicus(Botia kubotai).:) I like kubotais and kuhlis best.:love:

#5 ·
That looks like standard aquarium gravel to me, and should be fine with the cories. I would tend to shy away from kuhlis in that gravel though, as it appears quite large for them to be digging through. Kuhlis might hurt themselves trying. Botias would be the way to go if you want loaches... they're mostly peaceful, sturdy (after cycling), and won't get overly large for most of the species. I wouldn't do corys and loaches together in that size tank... but you should be good either way you choose.
Happy New Year!

#9 ·
I would like a hardy easy to care for cory. I would also want one that stays on the small side. I was thinking of a panda cory but maybe something else.

Oh and i dont mind if swordtails or platies eat my baby shrimp, just as long as they dont eat my grown up shrimp

#10 ·
I'll check on a species of cory that stays small and is somewhat easy to find, I just forget the name at the moment.
As for the shrimp, I doubt you'll have problems with the swordtails eating them. I raise ghosties in my 55 livebearer tank, among others, and the swordtails don't pay them any attention. Once the java moss fills out, the ghosties will enjoy hiding under and in that, where the fish can't reach them.

I would go with the 2 male swordtails over the 3 platys unless you're going to keep the platys all male, too. Swordtails can reach 5 inches easily, while platys tend to top out about 3 - 3 1/2 inches. If you're looking for something smaller, brighter... consider coral platys? They are a dwarf species of platy and top out at about 1 - 1 1/2 inches instead of 3, though they do breed just as much, so again, I'd stick with males in a tank that size unless you have another tank for raising fry, and an outlet for them when you get too many.

Your stocking scheme sounds good to me, I'll post asap with the name of some corys for you.
Good Luck with it!!!

#12 ·
10 gallons won't get you far when breeding those kinds of fish... you're talking about typical spawning of up to 30 - 40 fry at a time, and they can do that about every 30 days... that's a lot of fish that will need a lot of space, and they grow quite rapidly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.