Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Sad Day (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/sad-day-221306/)

Tabby216 07-07-2013 07:43 AM

Sad Day

This morning I find one of my adult mollies dead. She might of been there overnight since when I checked on them at night I didn't see her. She was a very pretty fish...

I tested my water parameters

Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 20

What caused this nitrite spike? Yesterday I switched from my old filter to a new filter but I kept the previous cartridge bag and placed it in there instead of using the new cartridge bag. Also a few weeks ago the aquarium just finished with the nitrogen cycle.

Romad 07-07-2013 07:46 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your fish :( Did you add any new fish to the tank recently? What size tank do you have and how many fish are in it?

Tabby216 07-07-2013 07:49 AM

A few weeks ago I added two amano shrimp to help with the algae. Now I'm left with two platies one molly and many molly babies. Its a 10 gallon tank fully planted

Tabby216 07-07-2013 07:57 AM

Two weeks ago to be exact I added the shrimp

Romad 07-07-2013 12:27 PM

Did the molly have signs of decay? It's possible that that fouled the water enough to have the spike that you show. Do a water change and a really good vacuum of the bottom.

If you can get your hands on some Seachem Prime conditioner, triple the dose until you get your params. back to where they should be.

Tabby216 07-07-2013 01:24 PM

Yes she was decaying. I did a 50% water change and added prime. The day before she died I also did a water change so the prime conditioner maybe helped. All the fish and shrimp are alive
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 07-07-2013 02:10 PM

I would not replace the dead molly, just in case you might think of that. This is only a 10g, and as another member said in your other molly thread, molly really should have 20 gallons or larger. They do get large. And they need very stable water. Plus you mention fry which will need culling out soon.

Your mention of 20ppm nitrates in both threads is a possible concern; you also say well-planted, and with plants I would not expect nitrates above 10ppm, and likely lower. Molly are sensitive to these, any of the nitrogen forms (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). If mollies are subjected to cycling or a new aquarium, they may live through the initial stages but usually succumb down the road. They are not a "hardy" fish by any means, compared for example to guppies or platies.

Byron.

Tabby216 07-07-2013 04:53 PM

I am not replacing her but funny thing is the fry are not being eaten by the adult fish. I have left java moss in the tank so they would hide but they only did that for a little. Now all of them are free swimming with the adults even the little tiny ones. This sounds crazy there suppose to eat the young.

I did not know nitrates would harm them the tank just recently finished the cycle with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate. So far the black molly and frys are all swimming actively but I will keep an eye on them.

as for tank size I cannot get a 20 gallon but as the fry get a little more bigger I will be giving them away for more space.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sylverclaws 07-12-2013 11:32 AM

Mm, you have parameter spikes because your tank is considered extremely over-stocked. It wont fix unless you make stocking changes. Even a single molly in a ten gallon isn't too good, especially with youngins. They're not being eaten because most likely your fish are too ill to be chasing them down. Mollies should actually be kept in nothing smaller than 30 gallons and require groups of 5 to be properly happy, or four of the smaller types that get no bigger than 2.5 inches in a twenty, but with the bioload they give off, which is very high for a tropical fish, would be pushing it unless it's densely planted.

I know how hard it is to not have the space your fish require and having to give some up. But you should really give up those fish and go with five guppies. Five guppies and your shrimp are the only things that can really fit there if you want multiples. The other option is complete re-stocking and getting a betta and maybe three African Dwarf Frogs. The tank cannot support what you have.

If you don't make changes, the spikes will continue to flux and get worse regardless of how much you clean, and will eventually kill everyone and make them sick and highly likely to get parasitic and bacterial infections of all kinds. So you have to make a big choice here, or risk everyone dying and suffering. =(

Tabby216 08-01-2013 07:12 PM

I moved the adults out of the tank now leaving the fry only in there. There hasn't been a spiked so the previous one was caused by the fish that passed away.

I would disagree that my fish are unhealthy they have been doing really great. I think they did not eat the fry because of having enough food in the tank. There is algae all over the surfaces. I also feed them four times a day but now it is cut back to two times per day.