Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   What fish go good with tiger barbs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/what-fish-go-good-tiger-barbs-22120/)

trixie3794 03-13-2009 06:56 PM

What fish go good with tiger barbs?

Hi, I am new to this site and I recently got a 55 gallon aquarium. Right now I have 7 tiger barbs and would like to add more fish. What other fish would go good with the ones I have?

Twistersmom 03-13-2009 07:02 PM

If your tank is cycled, zero ammonia and nitrites, you could add some fish for the bottom. Maybe a small school of yoyo loaches or some cory.

tophat665 03-13-2009 08:07 PM

Did I have a tank with 7 tiger barbs, I would add 3 more tiger barbs and 5 skunk loaches.

Regardless, I would bump the school up to 10 on the theory that the more tiger barbs you have, the less interested they will be on beating on non-tiger barbs.

A Red Tailed Black or a Rainbow shark should be able to hold its own. A bristlenosed Pleco should be fine.

If you went with 10 Tigers, 5 Cories, an RTBS, and a Bristlenosed Pleco, you'd be fine.

What other sorts of fish interest you?

trixie3794 03-13-2009 08:38 PM

any fish with some sort of color to them really. But I am not too picky

tophat665 03-13-2009 09:48 PM

If your water is on the basic side of neutral, and a bit hard, then I might put a firemouth or 2 in there. Give them a place to hide, and skip this idea if you have live plants (they'll dig them up).

Sj45 03-13-2009 09:55 PM

Neon Blue Gourami?

Shadowcat0789 03-13-2009 10:16 PM

I would definately not do a firemouth, assuming we're talking about firemouth cichlids. I kept 4 tiger barbs in with swordtails and zebra danios and they were fine together. Given that the tank is as large as it is I'd say you'd be able to keep just about any kind of community fish in that tank with them provided that the parameters of the tank are fine. A girl that works with me has I wanna say 6 tb in a 125 with rainbow fish, bleeding heart tetras, ropefish, cories, other types of tetras. I can't recall everything in her tank and she doesn't have a problem with anyone. Given, there is a lot more room but that might give you a few ideas

Holly 03-13-2009 11:26 PM

If you have 6 tigers there should be enough that you can put just about any community fish in the tank. A 55g is a decent size. In my 55g I have 6 Odessa Barbs, 3 Rosy Barbs, a pleco, several cories (I have a cory problem!), 3 yellow wonder killies, 5 turquoise rainbowfish and 2 guppies that I still can't catch. Everyone get's along fine. It also depends on your tigers. Are they more on the aggressive side? If you have a 6 there should be enough that they will only chase thier own. My barbs ignore everything else in the tank but chase eachother all day.

Twistersmom 03-14-2009 06:40 AM

If you are going to introduce fish smaller than the tiger Barbs, I would recommend turning the lights out or feeding the fish when you put the new ones in.
I have kept allot of different fish with my tiger barbs without any problems.
A small war broke out when I added some red glass barbs, I left the lights out till the next morrning and all was fine. They got along great after that.

tophat665 03-14-2009 06:34 PM

I defer to those with the personal experience. Listen to them, not me in this matter.