Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   I need opinion (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/i-need-opinion-221122/)

BackInAction 07-06-2013 06:22 PM

I need opinion

3 Attachment(s)
After adding another daylight bulb My swords stem started to reach for the sky and flourish a little bit.

Now i really like how is blooming and like to keep it, but(i really dont want a forest to grow in my tank though), i would like to have the mid part and upper part of the tank wide open for my 28 henchman to chase each other around (no obstacles in the way of their path)
What do you think ?should i keep it or mow it down?

Byron 07-06-2013 07:22 PM

Considering you have no floating plants, I would leave the inflorescence with the adventitious plants growing to provide some upper interest. The fish will appreciate it too, they like cover.

BackInAction 07-08-2013 05:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 2485370)
Considering you have no floating plants, I would leave the inflorescence with the adventitious plants growing to provide some upper interest. The fish will appreciate it too, they like cover.

I'm sorry byron about the late response I totally forgotten ive started this thread:-( ..I'm going to take your word and not chop it down ..Today i was in the city (china town part) and pick up a couple of fishing supplies at a Chinese fishing store,(even hook up my crayfish sandy's 10 gallon tank up a bit) I pick up a nice red plant for 6 dollars , but i have no clue what it is? (the Chinese old man didn't speak no English:-(,so i was left hanging . heres a couple pics of the plant ...(the water is cloudy ,i just did a water change )

Byron 07-08-2013 07:20 PM

That's a Red Tiger Lotus, I have two in my 90g. It is in our profiles. It does best with a root tab, plus liquid fertilizer of course.

NewFishFiend 07-09-2013 12:26 AM

oh this reminds me, my tiger lotus (which i refer to as lillies.... that's what my LFS called them) is finally starting to come back around! The leaves had gotten all holey and it was looking rough, but since going to the ferts schedule that you suggested, they have new growth and the leaves are healing.

BackInAction 07-09-2013 06:26 AM

Mom save the day....Thank god my mom came up north to visit her son from Florida..She was always into planting ever since she was a teenager (not me,newbie here ) .She notice the lotus had a bulb and i planted the lutos bulb in the sand to deep and she told me to just let it sit on top of the sand and the roots will spread down and dig in...if not, the bulb will rot if its planted to deep in the sand ... Now moms dont lie right? do you think lol ..

NewFishFiend 07-09-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackInAction (Post 2504657)
Mom save the day....Thank god my mom came up north to visit her son from Florida..She was always into planting ever since she was a teenager (not me,newbie here ) .She notice the lotus had a bulb and i planted the lutos bulb in the sand to deep and she told me to just let it sit on top of the sand and the roots will spread down and dig in...if not, the bulb will rot if its planted to deep in the sand ... Now moms dont lie right? do you think lol ..

Actually ur mom is absolutely right! Ive read that its suggested to leave the crown of the bulb above the substrate so it would he about 2/3 buried.

BackInAction 07-10-2013 07:48 AM

Is there anyway you could split the bulb in half to get another plant from it?Mom went back home last night and i forgot to ask her if you could split the bulb apart ..

The bulb is about a size of a half a dollar coin