Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   ok what happend first 45 babys now over 100 please look (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/ok-what-happend-first-45-babys-22092/)

chrisandmarie 03-12-2009 05:57 PM

ok what happend first 45 babys now over 100 please look

hi all , ok about a month or 2 ago my jellybeans had fry there was around 45 not many ,but since i took the fry out later to there own little tank the female has spawned again and theres ver a 100 why the big increase in eggs/fry this is the second time since ive had them the first time the female and male were realy protective of the fry but this time when the male tryes to go to his babys the female tups him away why she doing this hes not being aggressive to the fry at all its like he wants to help her but she wont please look at video

baby fry 100+ video by chrisandmariex4 - Photobucket

Cody 03-12-2009 11:37 PM

Jellybeans? Those looked like convicts...

chrisandmarie 03-13-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 179370)
Jellybeans? Those looked like convicts...

what pink conks or severums i was told these are jellybeans of another forum but i saw a fish pic on ebay and they look abit like severums with the fins ect but still not sure all i know is they had 45 fry in first batch and this second theres 100 lol:lol:

Cody 03-13-2009 04:32 PM

Convicts are the rabbits of the fish world. I believe severums are fast breeders as well. This is completely normal and should be expected when you have a pair.

Hopefully you have a place where you can put all the babies. Maybe food for larger fish or the like. You will constantly have babies.

chrisandmarie 03-13-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 179537)
Convicts are the rabbits of the fish world. I believe severums are fast breeders as well. This is completely normal and should be expected when you have a pair.

Hopefully you have a place where you can put all the babies. Maybe food for larger fish or the like. You will constantly have babies.

o no could net use as food i love what i do its great watching them grow ,and the excitement of why they hatch ,ive been told if i dont remove the fry till just under 1" then move them as she wont spawn till there moved so gives me and the other fry time to grow and me to sell

Cody 03-13-2009 04:42 PM

You are going to have a VERY overstocked tank. Getting them all into their own tank is best.

tophat665 03-13-2009 08:27 PM

You are going to ha ve to come up with some way of disposing of the fry. If you have a local fish store that will sell them on consignment, good for you, but you will quickly saturate the market. So sooner or later it is going to come down to getting some predatory fish to feed your culls to or simply culling and killing them. I know one guy who just nets a bunch out whenever his tank is overcrowded and buries them where he plants tomatoes. He's got really nnice tomatoes.

Remember, from whence convicts come, there are a bunch of predatory cichlids, including some real monsters like Parachromis dovii (wolf cichlids). The convicts nest in shallow enough water that the fully grown doviis can't get to them, but the larger dovii fry are constantly picking off convict fry, and out of the hundreds of eggs, maybe 2 or 3 fry reach maturity. So unless you cut own on the fry someway, your convicts will take over your tank, kill anything else in there with them, and eventually drown in their own filth.

Culling is deeply unpleasant, but if you are going to keep breeding fish, it becomes your responsibility.

ThalesthePearsei 03-13-2009 08:55 PM

I had a pair of convicts long ago, I really liked them, but after the third spawn I had enough. They are good if you want some easy feeders for larger fish, but it's not my thing.
Like everyone else said, if you are going to keep the pair- they are going to continue to spawn over and over and over and over again. They wont stop. If you want to keep this type of fish just keep either males or females.

Mikaila31 03-13-2009 11:37 PM

Yeah I'm going to say the same thing as everyone else:lol:.

Around here those are feeder fish.

chrisandmarie 03-14-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 179651)
Yeah I'm going to say the same thing as everyone else:lol:.

Around here those are feeder fish.

no i think ill get a larger tank and a few more small tanks so they can get bigger then sell them but not as food could not do that :BIGangel: