Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Question about filter?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/question-about-filter-22064/)

zombiefish610 03-11-2009 09:38 AM

Question about filter??

I have a Aqueon 55 in my 55 gallon tank. Is this sufficent enough or should I maybe add another filter? Also I have a 200 watt heater is this cool as well?

JohnnyD44 03-11-2009 11:40 AM

Aqueon 55 filters can pump up to 55 Gallons. You always want to make sure that you almost "over filtering your tank". the other problem is with only one pump that pumps up to a 55G is that if it's on one side, it's difficult to circulate the other side of the tank.

here are some options:
- You could throw a similar filter, maybe something not quite as big on the other side to help with circulation.
- You could buy a powerhead to help with circulation
- Get two smaller pumps which equal the size of one big one. i.e.: Get (2) Emperor 200's on either side to get the power of (1) Emperor 400.

As for your heater, 200W will be ok. That can handle a 55G. but again, without cirulation to the otherside your tank may be a little bit cooler on one side than the other

zombiefish610 03-11-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 179091)
Aqueon 55 filters can pump up to 55 Gallons. You always want to make sure that you almost "over filtering your tank". the other problem is with only one pump that pumps up to a 55G is that if it's on one side, it's difficult to circulate the other side of the tank.

here are some options:
- You could throw a similar filter, maybe something not quite as big on the other side to help with circulation.
- You could buy a powerhead to help with circulation
- Get two smaller pumps which equal the size of one big one. i.e.: Get (2) Emperor 200's on either side to get the power of (1) Emperor 400.

As for your heater, 200W will be ok. That can handle a 55G. but again, without cirulation to the otherside your tank may be a little bit cooler on one side than the other

Does aeration help? I have a bubble wall that spans the length of the tank as well as a aeration stone. Out of two of the options you listed which one would be best, the powerhead or adding a smaller filter on the other side?

MBilyeu 03-11-2009 06:19 PM

I would add a second filter..

JohnnyD44 03-11-2009 08:23 PM

yeah aerition does help a little bit, but it's more to help break up the surace of the water.

Add the 2nd filter, you'll thank yourself for it.
I'd also look into a better filter than your current aqueon......IMO.

zombiefish610 03-12-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 179165)
yeah aerition does help a little bit, but it's more to help break up the surace of the water.

Add the 2nd filter, you'll thank yourself for it.
I'd also look into a better filter than your current aqueon......IMO.

What's wrong with the auqeon? What would you suggest?

JohnnyD44 03-12-2009 08:41 AM

an emperor 400 or (2) 200's
bio-wheel 350 by marineland

emperors are very popular as are canister filters for a 55G

I am going to be putting a Marineland BioWheel 350 and 200 on my 55G in a few weeks once I get it set up

catfishtabbi 03-12-2009 10:57 AM

Hey, if i can jump in I had to put a penguin 200 hob on my 50 as a temp while my canisters are at marineland they"re being replaced; and i must say my tank is filthy. I've never seen it like this i can't wait to get my canisters back.It sounds to me as tho your in this for the long run so you might want to checkout marineland canister filters they are recently lower priced and have a 0 bypass system plus extra space for filter media. There may be others that are better (motors) but if yours brakes they send you a new one.They claim they should last ten years.

zombiefish610 03-13-2009 08:42 PM

Well I just picked up a Emperor 400 and I still have my Aqueon 55 hooked up that should fix it. Right?

JohnnyD44 03-14-2009 08:26 PM

make sure to keep your aqueon the 55G until the new filter can pick up some of the benefecial bacteria.
It also would not hurt to have filter on both sides to help with the water circulation