Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Suggestions on purchasing LR online (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/suggestions-purchasing-lr-online-220586/)

NewFishFiend 07-05-2013 09:36 PM

Suggestions on purchasing LR online

As my equipment is starting to arrive, I'm trying to shop around for place to buy LR. My LFS has LR for sale that is fully cured (that's the only way i want it) for $6.00/lb. It appears to be pretty decent LR. Porous, branchy, good growth. I'm trying to shop around a little bit though because I would like to make sure I am getting the best quality rock at the best price. And I want it to be shipped to me with care if I purchase it online. Anybody have any suggestions?

GwenInNM 07-05-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewFishFiend (Post 2479194)
As my equipment is starting to arrive, I'm trying to shop around for place to buy LR. My LFS has LR for sale that is fully cured (that's the only way i want it) for $6.00/lb. It appears to be pretty decent LR. Porous, branchy, good growth. I'm trying to shop around a little bit though because I would like to make sure I am getting the best quality rock at the best price. And I want it to be shipped to me with care if I purchase it online. Anybody have any suggestions?

I've only bought all my live rock from others on Craigslist. I have no regrets, but you can get a dip, and dip your live rock first. I never did that. I bought LR for like $2-3 lb. You get lots of benefical creatures, like copepods, amphipods.

NewFishFiend 07-05-2013 10:26 PM

I've seen some really nice LR on some websites with pricing better than i can get locally, but I'm kind of leary. It's easy to post pics of the best looking piece you got and make small disclaimers about how all their rock wont look like the picture. Plus I don't wanna lose a lot to shipping. I want to make sure whoever I use ships with care.

MetalArm3 07-06-2013 10:45 AM

LiveAquaria has always done a fantatadtic job with shipping LR,Fish, and corals. They have what they call "Reef Ready" LR, which is man made so it has no impact on the environment. I think it's also $6.00 per lbs. My tank cycled in two days with this stuff (fully cured).

Happy Reefing,
MetalArm3
Posted via Mobile Device

NewFishFiend 07-07-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalArm3 (Post 2482226)
LiveAquaria has always done a fantatadtic job with shipping LR,Fish, and corals. They have what they call "Reef Ready" LR, which is man made so it has no impact on the environment. I think it's also $6.00 per lbs. My tank cycled in two days with this stuff (fully cured).

Happy Reefing,
MetalArm3
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Metal! Thats the kinda info im looking for. Ive really been looking at premium aquatics. Their rock looks really beautiful.

NewFishFiend 07-07-2013 05:27 AM

You know, the more i think about it and read around on forums, i just think i will buy my live rock locally. Sure its 6.00/lb but atleast i know what im getting. Unless anybody has some raving reviews.

MetalArm3 07-07-2013 09:51 AM

I agree, it's nice to see what your getting. The problem I had when I bought an additional 5lbs from my LFS was hitchhikers, aiptasia specifically. Man made rock from liveaquaria is guaranteed to have no hitchhikers unlike natural rock farms found in the ocean.

Just something to consider.....

Happy Reefing!
Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 07-07-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalArm3 (Post 2488162)
I agree, it's nice to see what your getting. The problem I had when I bought an additional 5lbs from my LFS was hitchhikers, aiptasia specifically. Man made rock from liveaquaria is guaranteed to have no hitchhikers unlike natural rock farms found in the ocean.

Happy Reefing!
Posted via Mobile Device

That is always true, but some hitchhikers are nice :) I have mysis shrimp in my sump, that had to have come for LR I got out of an established tank. I also got rock with lots of coraline algae if you like that.

My peppermint shrimp have taken care of the aptasia I had.

NewFishFiend 07-07-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalArm3 (Post 2488162)

Happy Reefing!
Posted via Mobile Device

That is def something to consider..... I feel pretty good about the rock from my lfs. They have it in like a 225 gallon tank and its fully cured and has been in the tank for a long while. I trust this store pretty well. I think if there were aptasia or any other nasties it would be evident in their tank?

MetalArm3 07-07-2013 07:31 PM

Depends how well lit it is. My LFS keeps their LR in plastic troughs with little lighting and strong water movement. Makes it hard to see what's on the rock till you pick them up.....which by then most hitchhikers hide. Peppermint shrimp do rock! We like pics....so font forget to post your aquascape :)
Posted via Mobile Device