Tropical Fish Keeping banner

quarantine bucket?

13K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  burnsachris 
#1 ·
Could I use a bucket with a small sponge carbon filter and a regular household 20w daylight compact fluorescent for a quarantine tank?

#6 ·
I just cured a Coral Beauty Angel in a 10 gallon tank with a heater, sponge filter, compact fluorescent bulb, a little bit of liverock, a cleaner wrasse and some Melafix. I wouldn't use cleaner shrimp as opposed to cleaner wrasse because they are usually $15 more and when they cling on the fish to clean them of parasites they sometimes do to good of a job and gouge a hole in the fish. Good luck though.

#7 ·
I found an old 5 gal in the attic cleaned it up and got a small sponge and carbon filter, added a heater and some pvc. My clown stoped eating and has little flecks on him should I get a cleaner shrimp and put it in their with him. I need any suggestions. I was reading about hyposalinity, maintaining temp 78 to 80 and lowering the salinity to 16 ppt for 14 days of course with fish only in the tank. Or 50% water changes everother day for 2 weeks.

#10 ·
I do not see any signs of ich in the picture, but for the moment I would assume that is what you are dealing with. Personally, I would begin to feed a garlic supplement daily to help reduce the risk of the ich spreading. Other than that, I would just continue to observe until you have more evidence of what this is. The vaste majority of ich treatments are very ineffective, almost to the point of being an "urban myth", in my humble opinion. For this reason, you want to be pointed and exact in your treatment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.