Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New/used 55 gallon set up (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-used-55-gallon-set-up-22014/)

Spoon 03-09-2009 03:47 PM

New/used 55 gallon set up

I grabbed a 55 gallon long on Craigslist. Came with a decent home made stand, hood, light, gravel, fake plants, Emperor 400 filter, 175W heater, air pump, and some rock.
Set it up today with the E400 and my Aquaclear 300. To jump start the cycle I threw a donor pad under my A300 sponge that was being used in my 30 gallon tank, and I put some gravel from the 30 gallon in the chemical holders in the E400 filter. I plan on throwing a cube of frozen brine shrimp in there to feed the bacteria.
One problem so far. While dumping the last 5 gallons of water in the tank I heard a "pop". The plastic center piece that connects the front and back top rims cracked and seperated from the front rim. I may have been resting the bucket on the rim while dumpiing. Anyone ever have this piece break on them? Is this to hold the tank together or to support the hood and light?

lowco1 03-09-2009 08:01 PM

I have never had that piece break but I have had the rim around the top of the tank break and my tank is still fine. I believe that the center piece is a support beam of some kind though so if possible I would definetly try and fix that piece.

JohnnyD44 03-09-2009 08:36 PM

the center beam is just that. It acts as a support beam on your 55G. If you don't have a 48" lid, it will hold (2) 24" lids, and it acts as the brace for the middle to support the two.

Tyyrlym 03-10-2009 07:31 AM

It's not just there for a hood, it's a structural brace due to the length and thinness of the glass on the front of a 55. I'd look for a way to repair it, and no silicone won't do.

Spoon 03-10-2009 06:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also posted this under freshwater aquarium equipment.

I took some pictures of the break. The plan is to use a 12" clamp to hold it in place and try to glue it. A friend suggested gorrilla glue???? I know of no glue that would hold it and I'm open to suggestions. Both for a strong glue or other method of repair.
By the way, the gap is 3/8 of an inch. So far.

Nudist 03-10-2009 09:38 PM

i have heard that gorrilla glue is good but i dont know if it would hold this or not. just guessing i would say it wont but if you do try it, let us know if it does work.

Steve

s72450 03-10-2009 09:52 PM

Gorrilla Glue is awesome! I've used it on stuff before and it's held up very well.

Mikaila31 03-10-2009 10:06 PM

I had that happen to our old 55gal. I had my dad take a flat long piece of metal, it was thin enough to fit between the two hoods. He bent 90* angles on each end and it held the tank together until we got rid of it.

We had to drain the tank to get it on there though.

lowco1 03-11-2009 12:13 AM

I have never heard of gorilla glue but because it is a plastic piece I would recomend acri glue I dont know if the spelling is right. the glue is designed for plastic it heats the plastic up and melts it which in turn molds two plastic pieces together when it cools down it is normally very fast acting but I would apply it and then clamp it and check in 24 hours. If that doesnt work then maybe normal super glue or some kind of an appoxy glue.

Spoon 03-11-2009 02:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try glueing it first, then try to come up with my own brace. Does anyone know where to get a replacement top trim? I don't see anyone on the net that sells them.