Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   which fish??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-22/)

fiona 07-27-2006 02:03 PM

which fish???

im trying to find oout which fish are best for cleaning the inside of the tank?

i did have some sucking loaches but they were atcking the other fish so i gave them away. :(
but now i can csee just what a fab job they did!!!!

i would like to replace them with some thing thats not going to distress the fish anymore but also clean the inside for me.

any thoughts?!?!?!?

ktreffin 07-27-2006 09:22 PM

Hello fiona,

I guess it depends on what you mean by cleaning the inside of the tank. For the bottom I would have to recomend cories (Corydoras). They are great cleaners of left over food, and from my experience are not aggressive at all.

For the walls and deco's in the tank, take a look at the Otto's (Otocinclus affinis). These little buggers will eat their weight in algae. These guys run small, and once again in my experince are extremely docile.

I have owned both of these and have good experiences with both. Hope this helps.

Ken

Rachel 07-31-2006 09:03 AM

Thanks for the info, Ken. I was wondering the same thing. It's great to have fish around who reduce the amount of manual tank maintenance!

SimplySplendid 08-01-2006 04:03 PM

The best fish to clean the glass/plants/decor is a pleco. They're nocturnal so you don't usually see them working but they really do a good job keeping algae away.
If there is already alot of algae in your tank, a pleco might not be able to clean it off, so you would have to clean it yourself but after that a pleco would do a good job keeping the algae away.

Brie

Nick 08-01-2006 08:24 PM

the overall best fish to have for an algea eater is , what Brieanne said, a pleco. But there are many different type's of pleco's. The best one is a bristlienose. Common pleco's, what i have , do EXCELLENT so absolutely either get a pleco or some cory's, they do great in a group.

Nick

ktreffin 08-01-2006 08:55 PM

I agree that a pleco could be a good edition, however you must be very careful in picking out the species. Keep in mind that some plecos can reach up to 18 inches long. I read on another board about a 15 inch pleco being in a 15 gallon aquarium. Correct me if I am wrong but the Bristlenose can get up to 5" which is still a resonably good size fish. Just do your homework before you purchase so you don't regret it down the road.

ORACLEkidd71 08-01-2006 09:01 PM

Re: which fish???

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiona
im trying to find oout which fish are best for cleaning the inside of the tank?

yes i have to agree. i have had a plecostomus for years and also with every one of my fish tanks. i think thats the best way to go. i have never had a problem with them and other fish.

ORACLEkidd71 08-01-2006 09:23 PM

sorry dont listen to us.....

sorry after doing alittle more research. i have found that pleco ( plecostomus ) dont do well with gold fish or slow moving discus. they will eat the scales right off the fish.

Lupin 08-01-2006 11:57 PM

Quote:

sorry after doing alittle more research. i have found that pleco ( plecostomus ) dont do well with gold fish or slow moving discus. they will eat the scales right off the fish.
I disagree. Not all loricariids can attach themselves on the sides and eat the mucous membrane. A lot are in the same origin as the discus but not all can do the attaching on the sides.
I'd say ancistrus are a good choice to be kept with discus. More than that, they can eat algae.

SimplySplendid 08-02-2006 12:13 AM

I agree with Blue. Bristlenoses are also a good choice because they stay fairly small. And they're cute. http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/ubb/wink.gif