Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 75 gallon! Stocking suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-75-gallon-stocking-suggestions-21954/)

MBilyeu 03-07-2009 04:13 PM

New 75 gallon! Stocking suggestions?

I am in the middle of cleaning a 75 gallon that I got off of craigslist. Originally I wanted to do a African tank, but I think I will save some money and use the decor and substrate that came with the tank which would make me lean toward SA Cichlids. After I clean it and set it back up, hopefully it will still be cycled, which will mean that I will first transfer over my angels from my 30 gallon. After that, I need suggestions of fish to look for that are going to be colorful and large. I sort of want to put an oscar and JD in, but I am afraid that in a year or two, I wont be able to have any other fish than those two in there. If there was proper filtration, how many large fish could I fit in there? And what would be some of the more interesting(colorful) ones?

Sj45 03-07-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBilyeu (Post 178276)
I am in the middle of cleaning a 75 gallon that I got off of craigslist. Originally I wanted to do a African tank, but I think I will save some money and use the decor and substrate that came with the tank which would make me lean toward SA Cichlids. After I clean it and set it back up, hopefully it will still be cycled, which will mean that I will first transfer over my angels from my 30 gallon. After that, I need suggestions of fish to look for that are going to be colorful and large. I sort of want to put an oscar and JD in, but I am afraid that in a year or two, I wont be able to have any other fish than those two in there. If there was proper filtration, how many large fish could I fit in there? And what would be some of the more interesting(colorful) ones?

Clown Loach
Neon Gourami

MBilyeu 03-07-2009 05:14 PM

I was thinking about a gourami or two, but I don't think I will be doing loaches in this tank. I already have 3 burmese border loaches in my 30 gallon. Any other suggestions?

Sj45 03-07-2009 08:58 PM

If you go Jack Dempsey/Oscar, you'll be limited although they get along w/ each other. With them you'll be looking at Plecos/Sharks.

I always like Angels :P

MBilyeu 03-07-2009 10:57 PM

Well now I am thinking about skipping the oscar and doing something like a JD, a green terror, and a firemouth. It might be a little longer than I thought to get fish in there. I just bought everything to build a canopy for the tank, and I will also be building a wet/dry sump for it. Then I will have to cycle it...