Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   My two loaches are gettin stuck. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/my-two-loaches-gettin-stuck-21935/)

watts300 03-06-2009 11:46 PM

My two loaches are gettin stuck.

These two dummies keep getting stuck between the filter and the glass.

I suppose there's the slight possibility that they're hiding, but I doubt it for a couple reasons. They already have good places to hide that they have been using consistently. And when I slide the filter they don't come out -- only when I lift it off the glass.

Also, because the smaller one comes out with his three black stripes faded -- I'm told that's a sign of stress or unease.

I look at my fish all the time so that I could rescue them, but I'm concerned that there would be times (like when I'm at work) that they might be stupid again and get stuck.

So my question..... if they're in there for half a day, is there any possibility of them being hurt or injured? Are fish smart enough to not do something to further hurt themselves?

Eventually they'll be too big to fit, but right now I can't think of anything to block this spot.

aunt kymmie 03-07-2009 01:03 AM

My loaches can squeeze into incredibly small spaces and can stay there for a very long time. At first I worried but since I've had them for quite awhile I no longer worry. Are these clowns or kuhli loaches? How long have you had them? You say between the filter and the glass. What type filter and approx. how small is this space compared to the size of your loaches?

watts300 03-07-2009 09:47 AM

It's an Aqueon Power filter and they're clown loaches. I've had one a couple weeks longer than the other, with the new one being from just a few days ago.
I'm not sure how small the space is; it would be rather difficult to measure it. It's just the spot between the housing of the filter motor and the glass. The loaches are juveniles at maybe 1.5-1.75" long.

catfishtabbi 03-07-2009 10:50 AM

I had a fake rock bridge that had holes in the legs so that it could sink,well my lil' dummies went up these holes and stayed for 2 even 3 days.Theyre wasmt enough room for them to turn around ,they had to back out. One would think they'd die from ammonia poisioning but they were fine got big too. I redecorated my tank so theres no longer that kind of hiding going on no more.

watts300 03-23-2009 02:42 AM

Okay well, Creepy and Crawly aren't getting stuck any more...

But I have another question about them.

My new aquarium finially finished cycling so I moved the two mollies out. That left the two loaches by themselves.

Is it normal for them to be nervous about being alone? Within minutes of the mollies leaving, the black stripes on the loaches faded a lot. They also hid in their normal spot (not behind the filter, ha). I've put my hand and even the net in the water before so I'm sure they're not just scared of that.
The only thing different now is that their tank mates are gone. They never really interacted before though.

They'll all eventually be reunited so I'm not worried about them...
....it's just rather peculiar.

Twistersmom 03-23-2009 09:37 AM

I have one clown loach that likes to school with the tiger barbs, another I sometimes see schooling with the tinfoil barbs, more like pestering the tinfoils, so I do think they find comfort in numbers.

catfishtabbi 03-23-2009 12:35 PM

My betta seemed really lonley and lethatgic, he actually looked depressed when he was alone.Now that hes in a community tank hes happy.They don't like to live in ghost town.

watts300 03-23-2009 04:26 PM

Interesting. I thought that the combination of the already-shyness and indifference with other species would result in a species that's just fine being by themselves.

Well if they like it in their home now, they'll love the new place. I've got some nice slate to hide behind/under a few plants... and moss that evidently brought with it a bunch of snail eggs.

watts300 03-24-2009 06:43 PM

Any FURTHER MORE... ;)

The loaches are much more active and their colors are "normal" when the light is off. I saw that in the morning so I left it off. And it's still the same this afternoon.
I fed them with the light on but after they were done, it was the same as before -- scared.

Is it okay, for the time being, to leave the light off? I don't have any live plants; it's just the loaches and 4 shrimp.

I know fish need light for vitamins and healthy body function. Is the rest of the light in my apartment going to be enough until I can get them all into the same aquarium?
Or will they take care of themselves and should I just keep the same light schedule?

Twistersmom 03-24-2009 06:58 PM

What kind of loaches are they?