Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Protien Skimmer on 180G Discus tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/protien-skimmer-180g-discus-tank-21906/)

Arkangel77 03-05-2009 10:18 PM

Protien Skimmer on 180G Discus tank?

I have a new 180 gallon Discus tank with a Wet/Dry filter under it. I have noticed a large amount of protein/foam on top of the water in the wet/dry. I scoop it out when it gets bad and it seems to come and go. I have a history with salt water tanks and I was wondering if a protein skimmer might be a worth wile investment? I also understand that saltwater allows for the creation of much finer bubbles than freshwater which is why they work so well in saltwater systems. I read however that they were originally created for use in freshwater systems.

SO - Does anyone use a protein skimmer on a freshwater system? Will it even work?
Thanks for the help.
Arkangel77

onefish2fish 03-06-2009 02:32 AM

i have never tried it myself but i have heard of people doing it.
if you have one laying around from a previous saltwater tank, i would set it up, if anything it could only help.

and welcome to the forum.

Arkangel77 03-07-2009 10:22 AM

Thanks for the input. If I had an old one it would be there already, I may see if I can barrow one from a friend just to try it out. If I will do - I will let ya know how it works. CDC

Arkangel77 03-09-2009 03:59 PM

I am looking for a skimmer as a test But I guess I am the only crazy person who has ever thought of trying this? LOL. I may be spinning my wheels here - we will see?

onefish2fish 03-09-2009 04:11 PM

well i have heard of people using skimmers on freshwater. i DO NOT know if its very effective. again if anything its not going to hurt but i would hate to see you spend a couple hundred for a quality skimmer for it to be minimal.

whats your set up like now? bare bottom? how often are you doing a WC? feeding?

Arkangel77 03-10-2009 04:50 PM

Well this tank is still new. Its only 6 weeks old and I havenít put the 1st Discus in it yet. This is my 2nd 180 Gal Discus tank though. Its a planted tank - I have a large section of the bottom set up as a planning area and in that section there is plated tank gravel (about 220lbs). The rest has a thin layer of standard gravel that gets vacuumed on weekly bases when I do my water changes. I use an RO system for my tank water and I am running a LARGE wet/dry with bio balls. I also have a 32W UV in service. I am feeding the clean up crew / Tetras (just for variety) once a day. I also have about UMMM call it close to 30 plants doing well for the most part. I also have a bag of Peat granules in the system. I have bin closely monitoring the water quality for the last 4 weeks and its seems to be remarkable consistent and good! I plan to add my 1st 6 or so Discus to the tank next week. I have yet to nail down the feeding regiment I will be doing for them but I need to figure it out soon! I guess thatís about all I can think of. I am looking around for a used skimmer right now at a decent price. I hope to find one soon and set it up as a test to see what will happen. If I was still in contact with my saltwater buddy's I would try to barrow one for a while but thatís just not an option for me right now. I will let you know how I make out and thanks for your replies. Feel free to offer any advice. Thanks, Arkangel77

syrinx 03-10-2009 08:38 PM

I have heard that skimmers dont work well in fw because the suface tension is too high or low or whatever for foam to form like it does in saltwater, but I have never known anyone who actually tried it.

onefish2fish 03-10-2009 09:39 PM

are you planning juvee discus? if thats the case most keep them bare bottom due to their feeding requirements and water quality needs.

Arkangel77 03-11-2009 06:04 AM

I plan an skipping the younger ones and going streight to 4+ inch size fish. I am going to get a used red sea skimmer and see what happens. Thanks, Arkangel77