Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Angel Diet (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/angel-diet-21881/)

Sj45 03-04-2009 10:13 PM

Angel Diet

Could anyone give me the optimal diet for my Angelfish? I would like to get them healthy but also in the best shape for possible spawning as well. Currently they are eating Tropical Flake Food and Frozen Bloodworms.

What foods should I be feeding them and how should I vary it?

Thanks, Sj

Tyyrlym 03-05-2009 07:14 AM

Frozen brine shrimp would also go over well. You might even try raising the occasional batch of live ones to feed. Brine shrimp are easy to raise and live ones would be a real treat for the angels.

iamntbatman 03-07-2009 02:26 PM

What brand food are you using? A quality flake or pellet is an important staple and certain brands are significantly better than others. For supplementing their diets (especially to fatten them up for breeding) go with brine shrimp, bloodworms, beefheart and live blackworms.

Sj45 03-07-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 178244)
What brand food are you using? A quality flake or pellet is an important staple and certain brands are significantly better than others. For supplementing their diets (especially to fatten them up for breeding) go with brine shrimp, bloodworms, beefheart and live blackworms.

Currently, They are readily eating Tetra Color Flakes and Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms.

catfishtabbi 03-10-2009 05:26 PM

I know this post is dated, but i thought i would share with you that i purched shrimp and plankton sticks / pellets at big als from the gourmet self serve section and the angel fish just devoured 4 by himself. So safe to say they are a fav. and healthy too.They like some types of leafy vegetation.

Sj45 03-10-2009 10:52 PM

How would I get live Blackworms?

catfishtabbi 03-11-2009 02:35 PM

Petsmart and petsupermarket sell a variety of frozen worms even larve ( mosquito) perhaps you could at least find frozen ones there.Alot of on line stores ship them. I'll see if i can find some, but Fr.bloodworms seperate nicely and angels lone em' i'd much rather frozen.Also i found that feeding live food causes increased aggression in the angels.Big als sell live bloodworns.

Sj45 03-11-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catfishtabbi (Post 179112)
Petsmart and petsupermarket sell a variety of frozen worms even larve ( mosquito) perhaps you could at least find frozen ones there.Alot of on line stores ship them. I'll see if i can find some, but Fr.bloodworms seperate nicely and angels lone em' i'd much rather frozen.Also i found that feeding live food causes increased aggression in the angels.Big als sell live bloodworns.

Thanks.