Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Tank swap (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tank-swap-21875/)

Blackwater 03-04-2009 07:50 PM

Tank swap

Im thinking about a tank swap from a 55gal to a 20gal. Can I do a transfer of water, fish, filter, heater and so on and get away with it? The only thing that will be new is the gravel and driftwood and rocks that I have in the 20 gal now. I dont have that many fish so room isnt a problem. Would my filter be to much for the smaller tank?

JohnnyD44 03-04-2009 08:03 PM

I'm not sure if the 55G would be too much filtration for a 20G....if it's not....Here's how I'd do it....... First, get your new tank set up with gravel/sand and any new plants you want in your 20G. Add a heater and get it to the proper temperature. Once it's warm move the filter from your otehr tank to the new 20G. Don't do anything but move it and get it running. Once thats all good move your fish from your 55G into the 20.

you can also take some of the gravel from your current 55G, put it in a panty hose or small mesh bag and but it in a high current area in the 20G. this will help speed up the switch.

your water doesn't hold much benefecial bateria so won't waste your time hauling it around

Blackwater 03-04-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 177657)
I'm not sure if the 55G would be too much filtration for a 20G....if it's not....Here's how I'd do it....... First, get your new tank set up with gravel/sand and any new plants you want in your 20G. Add a heater and get it to the proper temperature. Once it's warm move the filter from your otehr tank to the new 20G. Don't do anything but move it and get it running. Once thats all good move your fish from your 55G into the 20.

you can also take some of the gravel from your current 55G, put it in a panty hose or small mesh bag and but it in a high current area in the 20G. this will help speed up the switch.

your water doesn't hold much benefecial bateria so won't waste your time hauling it around

Umm Im lost dont fish need water? I add the heater, filter and slap in a under garment in there, then the fish and hope for the best!?
Lol Joking! Wouldnt the new water need cycling to get at the right levels? Or do I wait out the cycle? Im not worried about moving the water. I want to avoid any shock to the fish.

I guess I should have said to that I didnt want it to take a long time to do the trasfer.

JohnnyD44 03-05-2009 05:26 AM

well if your 55G is not too much filtertation for a 20G....I'm assuming it might be....but if it isn't then you 55G filter will be cycled already and good to go on the 20G.

moving over some old gravel will also help to excel the new 20G tank

Twistersmom 03-05-2009 06:47 AM

I think your filter will be fine on the 20 gal.
What kind of fish?
If you have a good water test kit, I would go ahead and make the switch.
Remember not to let the filter dry out, so you do not loose the bacteria.
As said by Johnny, placing some of your old gravel in the new tank for a while, could help.
Just test your water daily for a while. Be ready to do water changes just incase.

I think adding water from your old tank is a good idea. Although it will not help the cycle, it may help in adding less stress on the fish. All new tap water is not always the same as what they are used to.

JohnnyD44 03-05-2009 07:50 AM

yeah good call, pick up an API Liquid Test Kit if you can, they're quite popular.