Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Neolamprologus multifasciatus info please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/neolamprologus-multifasciatus-info-please-218426/)

GwenInNM 07-02-2013 04:22 PM

Neolamprologus multifasciatus info please

I set up a 10 gallon tank at work, and I'm interested in a pair of these fish. Ph I have out of tap would be perfect for them, and I have a sand bottom. I guess I need to get a bunch of shells, but that is easy. I set up the tank with some plants. Is that completely out of the question for these fish?

I'm going to see if my LFS has them. Anyone know of a good place to buy them online? It sounds like they are pretty common?

Thanks for any input.

Gwen

Tazman 07-03-2013 11:14 PM

I will send you a PM of an excellent online seller. If he doesnt not have them in stock then he will certainly be able to get them.

10g is the absolute minimum I would use for these guys, they are nice peaceful fish and generally wont bother plants.

Agent13 07-04-2013 02:16 AM

Oh my goodness. I love those guys. The girls that live in the "shell harems" that the males make for them. Probably the only male with female African cichlids I would keep. If you find them and keep them I would love for you to post pics. But is 10g big enough? I know they don't need as much space. Very curious.

GwenInNM 07-04-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 2468418)
Oh my goodness. I love those guys. The girls that live in the "shell harems" that the males make for them. Probably the only male with female African cichlids I would keep. If you find them and keep them I would love for you to post pics. But is 10g big enough? I know they don't need as much space. Very curious.

I've read they are perfect "desk" fish and can be kept in a 5 gallon, though I wouldn't do that. They guard an area of 6 inches, so I guess a 10 gallon is sufficient. I'm still deciding. I'll post pictures for sure if I get a pair. The problem is, getting a male and female. They aren't that easy to sex. I have to trust the fish store guy, as he seems to know. Hmmmm 8-) Not sure.

Agent13 07-04-2013 11:20 AM

I know what you mean! I have been slowly stocking an all male Mbuna tank really young ones and I have sometimes been in the store(they even specialize in cichlids .mostly african) for an hr staring at one fish and the manager and even the breeder on the phone trying to make a collective best guess at which was male lol. I LOVE my cichlids. their behaviors are so odd. But the shell dwellers.. man I never even thought about getting them. If you have success honestly I may convert one of my 20g qt tanks for that. But I would think if your store ..or the person Tazman recommends is selling you similar aged ones wouldn't that be kinda easier to tell? The males are larger then the females..right?
Actually it would be fun for a larger tank just to get enough room for 2 or 3 males and a proper harem for each..just to watch them stealing eachothers females lol!

cwmorrow 07-05-2013 10:52 AM

We kept three in a ten gallon. Two paired up, and the watching the territory disputes was cool. We fed flake and brine shrimp.
They would dive into shells to hide. We lost one when the power went off this Winter.
When moved to a Tanganyikan community, they ignored the shells and used rock work to hide in.
I wish my LFS would get some more.

GwenInNM 07-05-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmorrow (Post 2475330)
We kept three in a ten gallon. Two paired up, and the watching the territory disputes was cool. We fed flake and brine shrimp.
They would dive into shells to hide. We lost one when the power went off this Winter.
When moved to a Tanganyikan community, they ignored the shells and used rock work to hide in.
I wish my LFS would get some more.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on setting up both some rocks and shells.

gwen