Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New Molly Tank Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/new-molly-tank-help-218330/)

HelpMeFindMolly 07-02-2013 12:16 PM

New Molly Tank Help

Let me start by stating that this website is sweet :-). Okay so I use to have 2 white mollies, 2 red tint tetra's (don't know exact name), and about 30 bristlenose algae eaters. I decided it was time for a change and sold 27 eaters for 4 new domination mollies, gravel, and live plants (something I've been looking to do). I took them out and changed the gravel and such. Now with them all back in there I have had some noticeable change that I want to make sure is okay. The black dalmatian molly is now a bit aggressive, mostly during feeding time or sometime close after to only the 2 white molly. Next the biggest (used to be Alpha)white molly fish is now dissociated. He used to chase the other white molly around (glad he's not anymore) but seems alienated from the group. The white mollies also recently gave birth to 8 babies and I thought maybe that was the reason too. Not sure if everything is normal and I'm just crazy but it seems as though my fishes are changing rank in the molly world, with 2 males and 4 females (8 babies though to hopefully help the ratio). Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated. Also I have a video of the aggression I'm going to try and post soon.

HelpMeFindMolly 07-02-2013 02:26 PM

I went to the fish store and they said the alienation is from a parasite and gave me quick care. Also they said the fish are just fighting for dominance. I still feel that the fish are fighting way too much. Any idea's on how to calm a tank down would help.

ameliarose82 07-02-2013 11:34 PM

Welcome! I am not an expert, but I am learning a lot and this website is very helpful to me. I don't know about it being a parasite, but I am just very careful with advice from pet shop workers. I have 2 dalmation mollies and a lyre tail molly in my 55g and they are very peaceful fish. I know that males will chase females and I have heard that in several fish species the more fish the better because they usually spread the aggression around so it may help to have your babies in the mix. It is also helpful to have more females than males. Every time we add new fish the older ones chase a bit to assert their dominance in the tank. How long ago did you add the dalmations?

Some chasing is normal, my black skirts chase each other all the time and their territory in the tank is very clear. I just watch for nipping and stress and make sure they are still eating. I try not to stress too much when my fish chase, like my local pet store owner said, "sometimes when we live with people all the time we fight too." But if you are concerned it may be more than just normal chasing. Luckily we have several tanks we can move fish around in if they don't get along. We had to move our lyre tail actually because our orange platy was chasing and stressing it out. More hiding places may help, perhaps some floating plants for them maybe?

HelpMeFindMolly 07-03-2013 01:23 PM

Yeah the owner said it was a parasite because he was hiding and just sitting there waving his body, clinching his fins. Always feeling better when people tell me its normal lol. ANOTHER QUESTION: Idk what to do because I had 30 Algae eaters and now only 3, and the mollies are stealing there algae wafers (which I know is good for them) but the bristlenose have to eat too!!! Any idea's on a less appealing food to the mollies (like cucumbers or something).

ameliarose82 07-04-2013 11:43 AM

All of our fish go after our sinking pellet type food too. We don't have plecos we have corys, and we feed our fish flake food, occasionally blood worms, then we give our bottom feeders shrimp pellets and algae wafers. I don't think you can make those things less appealing for mollys, but more hiding places or plants may help. We try to put several pellets all throughout the tank so that they all have a fighting chance. You may be able to break the wafer into smaller pieces so that it distributes across the tank more and they all get a little piece.