Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Air Filter in 10 Gal Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/air-filter-10-gal-tank-21815/)

mritter 03-02-2009 07:43 PM

Air Filter in 10 Gal Tank

I have a 10 galleon tank that currently houses 2 cory catfish and 1 guppy and 1 platy and I have had this tank since July 2008. The tank has cycled and I check weekly to make sure the ammonia, nitrate and nitrites are good (low to nil). My biggest challenge is the pH level. I live in an area with extreme hard water and have been told by the fish stores that it's okay, that the fish adapt and the less chemicals one uses the better, which I agree with. The only thing I add is a water conditioner.

Now having said that, my 10 galleon tank has a heater and a filter, but I'm wondering if I should also have an air filter, is this vital for tanks, can fish die without one? The reason I ask this is I have lost a guppy and for the life of me I can't figure out why, everything points to being fine, so for him to die seemed strange, so I was wondering if oxygen starvation may be a potential cause?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cody 03-02-2009 07:54 PM

Do you mean an airstone?

Maybe. What is this pH level? If you dont want a high pH, then adding peat to your filter may help.

Twistersmom 03-02-2009 07:56 PM

I think the filter alone should be sufficient, but you can not have too much air, so if you want to add an air stone, go ahead.
You will see fish gasping for air if they are not getting enough.

I also have hard water and a high ph. My fish have adapted well. I agree with not trying to adjust the ph.

Sometimes fish just die. probably no fault of you own. Sorry to hear of your loss.

mritter 03-03-2009 12:32 PM

So, out of curiousity, what is the difference between an air pump and an air stone? I've looked up air stone's on the net and I'm wondering if there is equipment that i have to attach to this stone....sorry a little lost on the subject of air pumps and airstones.

1077 03-03-2009 12:45 PM

Air pumps are designed to be attached to an air stone with flexible tubing. The air pump pushes air through the tubing and into the airstone and the airstone ,produces bubbles in the water creating more oxygen.;-) If you decide to add more oxygen in this way, I would also recommend an inexpensive check valve. All of what you need can be found at most fish stores or walmart.

mritter 03-03-2009 03:14 PM

Can the water become oxygen rich and be harmful to the fish?

Twistersmom 03-03-2009 06:14 PM

There can not be too much air.
If you go with an air pump and stone, they also have valves you can buy, so you can turn the air up and down.