Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Chichlid food (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/chichlid-food-21807/)

RandallW20 03-02-2009 04:37 PM

Chichlid food

Ok, I'm about to get my two Texas Chichlids for my 75gal. What food would ya'll recommend as the best for them? I want to provide them the best nutrients. ;-)

Thanks!

aspects 03-02-2009 04:49 PM

I'd personally suggest a base diet of hikari bio gold and dainichi xl-pro, supplemented with occasional treats of freeze dried or frozen foods. If you can get them more then 2 types of pellets, even better. Try shrimp based or even spirulina based pellets to see what you can train them to eat. The more you can mix it up, the better.
And I can't stress this point enough. DO NOT USE LIVE FEEDERS.

RandallW20 03-02-2009 05:42 PM

Awesome, i was thinking of using the Hikari bio gold as my mainstay and some frozen foods as treats.
Any frozen foods better than others, or is there any frozen ones I should stay away from? Beef hearts, shrimp, tubiflex worms, etc etc...?

Thanks Again!

aspects 03-02-2009 05:46 PM

with frozen, its hit or miss. it just depends on what your fish will accept. but the more you can mix it up, the better.
a lot of cichlids, IME do dot accept beefheart. i had 12 packs in my freezer for a long time trying it on different fish, with no luck. generally, bloodworms are a favorite among just about all fish, so thats a good start. when they get a little bigger, you can also try frozen silversides, and MP.

iamntbatman 03-02-2009 06:03 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Hikari, although it certainly is a respectable company and a lot of people like their products. I just have a preference for Omega One. They make a quality cichlid pellet for more carnivorous cichlids (like your Texas cichlids) and they come in three sizes so you can keep them on the same staple as they age. HBH also makes pellets designed for oscars that would be just fine for your fish. OSI makes quality prepared foods as well.

If the fish are still very small, frozen foods like bloodworms, tubifex and brine shrimp will make good supplements, but as they grow you'll want to move to bigger frozen items like mysis shrimp and krill. Live blackworms would be nice for Texas cichlids of any size, as would live mealworms and crickets on occassion.

As to feeders: absolutely avoid goldfish or rosy reds, as these have numerous health problems associated with them. However, I see nothing wrong with feeding predatory fish home-grown livebearers, so if you have a tank full of livebearers that are reproducing like crazy (or if you want to set up a livebearer tank and need something to do with all the fry you're bound to end up with) feeding them to your cichlids should be no problem.

RandallW20 03-02-2009 06:28 PM

That sounds good, cause I have a pair of green swordtails that just had some fry about 3 weeks ago, and I think she's about to have some more pretty soon.........:shock: