Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Salt for Freshwater????? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/salt-freshwater-21806/)

RandallW20 03-02-2009 03:29 PM

Salt for Freshwater?????

So I read I should use some aquarium salt for my freshwater aquarium to help aid my fish with electrolytes.
I happened to pick up some API Aquarium Salt (cause it was cheap) anyhow, I'm reading that it calls for 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons.....:shock:
That just seems like alot, is it really safe to add this, should I add it?

Thanks!

stevef10 03-02-2009 05:13 PM

I used some of that same stuff when my tank was re-cycling (cause I screwed up and cleaned my filter with tap water) and I had high nitrites but it's hard to tell if it actually did any good. From my research lots of people swear by it but just as many people say it doesn't do any good and could do harm. I think it works to treat some diseases (like ich) and nitrite spikes so I keep some on hand just in case. But if you have scaleless fish it's probably not a very good idea cause they can't tolerate much.

RandallW20 03-02-2009 05:45 PM

Good info, thanks!

JohnnyD44 03-03-2009 01:16 PM

i use to use it in my tanks until I read somewhere that it can harm the fish's gill and eventually restrict their breathing. I've also heard that it does help with ich and is like "gatorade for fish"

so, stevef10 has got it right. I've heard the same thing......just depends who you talk to

dramaqueen 03-03-2009 07:51 PM

Some people swear by it and some say its no good.

RandallW20 03-03-2009 08:40 PM

Hmmmm......... I guess since its not a proven practice I'm gonna refrain from using it.

catfishtabbi 03-03-2009 08:55 PM

A fish breeder told me that its good to shock your tank , to add 1 tbs/gal on week one then none for water changes 2 and 3 then half the removed amount on change 4 and 5 then back to week one with a large amount.I CAN do the math however thats alot of salt and it does'nt seem safe to me. He said the whole poimt was not to accustom your fish to high salt so that it remains effective in preventing disease and keeps fish producing a healthy slome coat. Note; i know salt has a negative effect on males fertility.Please dont rely on this recipe i am not 100% certainof it.

Fishcricker 03-03-2009 09:12 PM

Some fish just plain don't like salt in their water. Cardinals, cories, more.

cerianthus 03-03-2009 09:59 PM

It is advantageous to have some salt. I'll see if I can find the article on Osmoregulation or if possible check out Jan issue of FAMA Magazine which had very good/important articles as to why you need to add some salt in F/W.
Personally always used salt on most of F/W fish, even scaleless or fine scaled Clown loach, silver $, etc without any mishap. Actually may helped with certain bacterial/fungal/parasitic infection when used properly.

dramaqueen 03-03-2009 10:03 PM

That would be great to see some articles on salt.